Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I've lost my only key to my car, it is not a fancy flip up

Customer Question

Hi I've lost my only key to my car, it is not a fancy flip up key or electric key, just the old school black square and metal sticking out, what should I do?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have no key, how should I get a replacement? 2002 Volvo S60
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Don't think I can, I need a new key
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I just need a new key
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Don - Mo Lurch replied 1 year ago.

Blanks are available ON-Line, E-Bay, etc, but you will need it cut.
Best thing to do is contact Dealer or Local Locksmith & they can cut one from your V.I.N., but you will need to supply proof of ownership & I.D.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=2002+Volvo+S60+Ignitio+Key&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2002+Volvo+S60+Ignition+Key.TRS0&_nkw=2002+Volvo+S60+Ignition+Key&_sacat=0

.

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. A locksmith will not be able to cut the key from the VIN. Most dealers also cannot do this. They will need to order one pre-cut. Additionally, they will need the car so they can program the new key. Otherwise, all you'll be able to do is open the door- it will not start the car until it is programmed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will most likely have to toe the car?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you will need to tow the car to the dealer unless they have a mobile tech.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please remember to select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. Note that two experts are involved, so please rate accordingly. Thank you!

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I see you have checked back but not indicated the need for any further assistance. Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen so that I may be credited for helping. Rating does not cost anything additional, it simply allows a small portion of the amount charged to be shared with me. Thank you.