Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 S60 2.5T with 98k miles. The problem that I…

Customer Question
Hello Edward, my name is...
Hello Edward, my name is Ves.
I have a 2005 S60 2.5T with 98k miles. The problem that I have is with the transmission after it warms up let's say 20 min driving. It has a delay when shifting into drive from park or nutrual and when eventually engages it does with a hard shift, rough and jerky when in standstill. It upshifts fine. Sometimes under harder braking when the transmission dowshifts automatically it will also go in gear rough.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
The car was diagnosed by a Volvo dealership and the conclusion was that it needs a new valve body or a new transmission. My actual question is , is there another possible fix?
3/18/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Ves, Have you seen a check engine light come on? or a "Transmission Service Urgent" message appear in the instrument cluster information window since you have noticed this problem? Also, Have you ever serviced the transmission. Volvo states, only service the transmission if you tow with it, or if you have a transmission issue, which leaves that a slightly subjective subject, but let me know and we can go from there.

No check engine light, no messages on cluster. I flushed the fluid with Mobil 3309 but nothing changed.

Alright, If the check engine light hasn't come on, and if you haven't seen a "transmission service urgent message" then that means, the solenoids are electrically ok, because it would set a code if one was defective. I would still check the codes just to see if anything was stored, namely a transmission code, which would start with a 7 like, P0735 or P0710 or something along those lines, If there is no codes stored, then at an 05 model with almost 100K I would not recommend a valve body, as that is a fairly pricey item and you do have to pull the side cover off to get to it which there is some substantial labor there involved. I believe I would get a quote from an Aamco or local transmission shop that has good reviews on a rebuild or see what they say about repairing it. Reason why I suggest this, is dealerships will usually sublet out a rebuild. I know we do. We take ours to local transmission shop as dealers just put units in now and don't really rebuild these much anymore. Aamco offers a 12/12 warranty as well and will give lifetime warranty for a little more if you plan on keeping this vehicle a long time. Likely around 1/2 of what a dealership will charge. I would just hate for you to spend 1000 on a valve body, and it not fix it, when a rebuild unit from Aamco is probably 2-2500, so you probably want to weigh that decision out before putting a valve body in it. I have used some Dr. Tranny's shudder fix for soft shift's or shuddering on the torque converter lock up, but I don't know if that will help your problem or not. It might though, and at 8$ at any local auto parts store, I would probably put some of that in it first to see if it improved any. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Hello, Did you need to ask anything else? Thanks.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician