Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have started to experience rough down shifting in my 2007

Customer Question
Hello, I have started to...
Hello, I have started to experience rough down shifting in my 2007 xc 70. It appears to be from 3rd to 2nd and perhaps 2nd to 1st. I took it to a mechanic and they said they were no leaks detected. Suggested i have a pressure test done and the vadis hooked up to see if it shows anything.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
3/16/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you gotten any "Transmission Service Urgent" messages or is the check engine light on since you've had this problem? Also, you haven't had the unit serviced lately have you? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no messages at all. no work recently thank you

Alright, Volvo states this unit is only to be serviced if used for towing only or when a message or fault appears. Which leaves it slightly a subjective subject in my opinion. How many miles approximately do you have on it now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
125,000 miles
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was suggested that the servo may be the problem, and i am possibly looking at a new transmission?

Alright if you have no messages then I doubt that it would show anything. this transmission uses a synthetic type transmission fluid so if you decide to service it that may help the condition if the fluid is dark. I would be sure the correct fluid type is used as these units are sensitive to that and after servicing the unit we reset the transmission adaptives In VADIS, and we make sure the latest software is downloaded into the TCM. That is what I would recommend first. If that did not help then at that time you may possibly be looking at a rebuild or replacement unit. But usually these get a little bit more mileage on them before they start having issues. Do you use it to do anything ever?

Sorry about those typo's. Turning off my voice recognition now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no ,no towing at all just an everyday vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure if i mentioned it. problem seems somewhat sporadic..

Alright, I follow you. I believe at this mileage, the expense of a dealership level transmission service is warranted, with resetting transmission shifting adaptives, and making sure the latest TCM software is installed and if not download the latest software version into the TCM. When that is performed, the tech can inspect the fluid condition, see if there is any contamination in the fluid and let you know if it shows any abnormal signs of wear. That is what I would do first. If it had 200 plus mileage on it, then I wouldn't worry about servicing it and doing these things, I would likely recommend you rebuild it at an Aamco since they offer a 12/12 warranty on all work performed. But, since it's rather low mileage, I believe this may help first. let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok .. thank you.

Absolutely, Thank you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician