Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I am looking to buy either a Volvo XC90, 2007 done

Customer Question
Hi I am looking to...
Hi I am looking to buy either a Volvo XC90, 2007 done 107,000Kms petrol or
a XC60 2009 done 126,000 kms diesel
What is the difference in performance, what should I be asking the dealer and any other potential problem areas that i should be looking out for
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
3/14/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

there's a few variations in the engine sizes? so if you can let me know what specific engine you're interested in for both

but to watch out for on the XC60:

Active Bending Headlights' of SE Lux require 10 steps to switch from left dip to right dip, but then revert to left dip whenever the engine is switched off, necessitating the 10 steps again every time you re-start when in mainland Europe. Volvo has no solution to this.

2010 TSB related to rising sump oil levels in D5 Diesel engines with a DPF which is caused by excess fuel entering the engine sump via cylinders during DPF regeneration cycles. The solution is to reprogram the engine management software to reduce the volume of fuel used during the regeneration cycle and drain the excess oil back to midway between the min/max levels on the dip stick, then keep an eye on it. Really, any engine that has had its lube oil contaminated by diesel needs a lube oil change.

Volvo says, "Regarding the D2 diesel engine, the software has been improved so that particlefilter regeneration is facilitated. As for all modern diesel engines with particlefilter, it is still recommended to do some driving at a bit higher loads once in awhile, to ensure cleaning of the particle filter. However, our experience is thatthe D2 in V50 is really easy to regerarate, so it should work fine also for mostlycity-driving. There is one second point concerning the D2: starting from late 2010 in V50, we do ahardware change from an additive particle filter to a catalyzed one. The additivefilter type needed to be replaced or cleaned after 120,000 km, which is a costlyrepair. The new catalyzed solution does not require this, which is an advantage ifthe customer intends to keep the car for longer time."

Timing belt tensioner of 2.5 litre Volvo engine can fail in as little as 50,000 miles, flinging off the belt and wrecking the engine, then landing the owner with a £6,000 bill.

Powershift dual clutch automatic transmission requires fresh fluid every 3 years at a cost of £250.

Complaint of Geartronic bands slipping on 19k mile 2010 XC60 D5.

Complaint of rear brake discs and pads of 2012 Volvo XC60 D5 auto needing replacing at 34,260 miles.

Complaint of tailgate lock failure on 50k mile 2011 Volvo CX60 that had been serviced independently.

"Widespread" problem reported in with EGRs of new VEA D4 twin turbo diesel engine in all models of V40, S60, V60, XC60. 'C

GB Autos has encountered a fault in a control module under the left front passenger floor of some V70, XC70. V60, XC60. XC90, causing multiple faults if the headlamp flash is actuated. Replacement electronic control modules are in stock in advance of customer problems.

Recalls

12-05-2010 R/2010/051 VOLVO CAR C30, S40, V50, C70, XC60, V70, XC70 & S80. Engine speed may not decrease. VIN 180043 to 569282

11-06-2010 R/2010/071 VOLVO CAR XC70, V70, S80, XC90, C30, S40, V50, C70, XC60. Gearbox may jam. VIN 543653 to 579597

21-09-2010 R/2010/144 VOLVO CAR C30, S40 and V50. Engine may overheat. VIN 590038 to 592370

October 2010: American recall over problem with side airbags of 2010 S60, S80, XC60 and XC70.

29-11-2010: American recall of 2011 Volvo S60, S80, XC60, and XC70. According to a bulletin from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the problem is that "the software calibration for the fuel cut-off functionality in the engine control module (ECM) is too sensitive". As a result, the engines of affected vehicles could stall unnecessarily and suddenly, seriously increasing the risk of a crash.

03-12-2010 R/2010/224 VOLVO CAR C30, S40, V50, S60, V60, XC60, V70, XC70 & S80. Fire may occur. VIN 610264 to 613753

22-12-2010 R/2010/233 VOLVO CAR S40, V50 S60, XC60 Passenger seat may not be fitted correctly. VIN 488548 to 609751

Recall in India of(###) ###-####Volvo XC60s with DriveE four-cylinder petrol engine and automatic transmission over issue with stop-start. Apparently an issue in the fuse for the starter motor that can blow while the stop-start system is in operation during normal driving. The engine will not restart if the fuse is blown

and the same for the XC90 ( as its a different model)

D5 timing belts, tensioners, pulleys and waterpumps all best changed at 60,000 miles or 4 years whichever comes first. Tensioners prone to failure and may not last the scheduled 96,000 miles or 8 years. Pulleys also likely to fail and throw the belt off rather than belts themselves are to fail. Numerous cases of failure at 65k, so be warned. 2.4D and D5 Inlet manifold swirl flaps prone to breaking off at any time from 3 years old.

On D5s, poor starting can signify an injector problem. Injector failure on D5s more than 3 years old is becoming quite common. Cost £1,500 to replace.

Reports of alternator failures.

Vague reports of an issue over wrongly re-attached batteries, sited in the rear of the vehicle, catching fire and burning out the cars. May be due to the venting for the battery not being re-installed, so a garage rather than Volvo issue. Could be connected to the alternator issue (obviously battery and alternator are connected).

Faulty or badly fitted pollen filter cover in plenum chamber can lead to water ingress into the electronics (leading to spurious component failure messages). A modified plenum cover, correctly fitted, solves this.

Geartronic autobox failures increasingly common, particularly on cars that have been towing. The transmission oil cooler on these cars is modular and can be increased in capacity by adding modules. This is ESSENTIAL for towing (though often overlooked) and may also be necessary for other types of use. The other common Geartronic problem is sticking servo valves in the valve box that controls the shifts. Blame has been laid on insufficient grease during manufacture.

Steering lock failures becoming increasingly common.

Failure of the GPS Satnav can sometimes be cured simply by cleaning the CD Rom / DVD disk.

Transmission noise eventually cured by replacing the transfer box chain housing that connects the gearbox with the centre differential of the four wheel drive system. These transfer boxes actually rarely fail and can be obtained used for half the price of a new one.

Recalls

24-10-2003: On 1,534 XC90s VINS(###) ###-####to(###) ###-####possibility that seat belt attachments for 2nd and 3rd row may not have been fitted tightened properly. Inspect attachments, replace screws as necessary and tighten correctly.

30-10-2003: on 426 XC90s VINs 039461 to 048686; 039437 to 043301; and 039354 to 049450 possibility that at low ambient temperatures front wheel sensors can sen wrong signals to the control units, activating the ABS unnecessarily. Front wheel sensors to be replaced with a modified type.

November 2007: Spokeswoman Maria Bohlin told the Associated Press (AP) that 38,000 diesel S60, V70 XC70 and XC90 models built in 2006 were being recalled in Europe due to a fault that could cause the engine to catch fire. Bohlin told AP a problem with the fuel injection system may cause diesel to leak onto the engine. Dealer would replace parts free-of-charge in about two hours, she said. The second recall, involving 18,000 V70 and XC70 models, is for an airbag problem. With the air bags "there's a risk they don't [inflate] fast enough," Bohlin was quoted as saying. The affected cars were sold mainly in Sweden, Britain and the US.

American recall of 2011MY Volvo S60, S80, XC60, and XC70. According to a bulletin from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the problem is that "the software calibration for the fuel cut-off functionality in the engine control module (ECM) is too sensitive". As a result, the engines of affected vehicles could stall unnecessarily and suddenly, seriously increasing the risk of a crash.

Volvo XC90 Built 27/01/2015-19/05/2015 Number of cars involved 1688 Manufacturer reference R89573 Problem Third-row passenger airbags may fail to deploy. Solution Modify the interior panels that affect the deployment of the airbags.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Matt, I have never owned a Volvo before, thankyou for you technical review.
What i should have asked you is what are in your opinion the positives and negatives of the 2 models
that would help me weigh up my decision to buy either of them, not too interested in the detail
The key points I took were XC90 - transmission problems XC60 - cambelt changes beware, poor fuel economy,
make sure a have good servicing agent.
On another site in UK nearly all the owners made the same comments regarding poor fuel economy and transmission issues,
recommending not to buy one or the other, so I have decided not to proceed, thanks Grant

fair enough Grant

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer