gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

A! Trying to replace the fuel pump on an 850, how do I

Customer Question

Heya! Trying to replace the fuel pump on an 850, how do I disconnect the fittings from the pump assembly? Thanks!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 1 year ago.

Hello , just go to nearest parts store buy a set of plastic line release tools ... please rate my answer if we are done Thanks Joey

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you kidding me?!? That's not a reply! Can you please provide some actual detail as I think I'm entitled to a little better than that for $40!

ok , you just pick out the correct size for your line & push & turn the tool until the line clip releases the line pull it out... its easy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Except for the fact there is only about a 3mm gap between the bottom of the boot on the fuel line and the top of the pump housing, not really room to get the tool in there...

when you see the tool set you will understand...about$20.00 tool is very small round like the line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, this has been very little help I'm afraid. That tool in Australia will cost a lot more than that, and will take me another week or more to obtain. Oh well

that tool set works on all cars trucks...eve on A.C. lines

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, can you provide an image (link perhaps) of the correct type, as there are numerous qr tools there, depending on the fitting

I work from home & do not see what you pay them & if I'm no rated I get paid not a dime

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The fittings should be black, with a cutout on each side with a tab that you press. What works best is if you push the fitting ON to the pump harder to release any tension in the clips, and then squeeze the tabs on each side. Sometimes it is hard to squeeze them appropriately, and I use a pliers that are as wide as the tab so they can squeeze it below the level of the surrounding cutout. Then pull the fitting off.

Squeezing the tabs causes the plastic circle inside the fitting to expand on the two sides between the tabs and release from the ring on the fuel pump line/fitting.