Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2002 volvo s80 turbo when i press on the gas pedal

Customer Question
it just revs till it...
I have a 2002 volvo s80 turbo when i press on the gas pedal it just revs till it reaches 5rpm then the car starts moving
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was on my way home and my car was working perfectly then i stopped at a store and then it started happening
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'm assuming that this is an automatic transmisson so

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer