Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Volvo C70 transmission issue

Customer Question
2004 Volvo C70 transmission issue
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
2/23/2016
Volvo Mechanic: internal88, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
internal88
internal88, Mechanic

Hello, I'm Brandon .

1. Ensure correct fluid was used (conforms to JWS-3309 spec) and that the fluid counter was reset after replacement.

2. If the transmission has been serviced, ask how fluid was filled. There is a bolt on the top of the transmission that looks like a fill hole, but it actually holds the 3rd gear band.

3. If the bolt was removed, perform procedure as follows:
a) Remove the bolt, drill a 15/64 hole in the middle then tap with a M7X1.0 tap.
b) Remove the B4 servo cover.
c) Partially install anchor bolt.
d) With a pick (45 degree or 90 degree work well) move the band so the notch lines up with the bolt. While holding the band with your pick, thread the anchor bolt completely in.
e) Plug the hole in the bolt with a M7X1.0 screw.
f) Reinstall the B4 servo cover.

Print this out and bring it to a shop. They should know what to do.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

Bolt has not been removed. Has not been service but pan was removed to replace s4 solenoid and checked rest. Fluid added through dip stick hole on side of tranny

Do you feel the transmission slip when going into 3th gear?

No
It seems to work perfect unti it throws the PO740 code and goes into "limp Mode". It seems to go a little longer if I drive it in 4th rather than drive

This diagnostic trouble code is stored if the control module repeatedly registers vibrations from slipping lock-up during a number of cycles.

Possible causes:

• Poor quality transmission fluid. ( If you have not done so, change the transmission fluid with Volvo transmission fluid.

• Glycol in the transmission fluid.

• Worn torque converter.

• Mechanical fault in the transmission.

How do I reset the fluid counter after changing fluid? Is there any additive that I can use with the change of fluid that will help? Do I need to change fluid in TC also and how do I get all the fluid out? Is it possibe that the fluid is not cooling enough? Can the fluid Temp sensor cause the problem?

You need to hook up a VIDA system to do the adaptation. In my opinion it is not necessary to do the reset. But if you want a volvo shop can do this or you need to get yourself a VIDA. No additive is needed just Volvo AW5 transmission fluid.

The temp sensor is not the cause of the problem. All you need to do is to drain out as much fluid as you can.

I have a dice and have purchased a vida subscription for 3 days but have not been able to get the download to work right so it has not been much help. Can you give me some simple directions that might hel if I need that. I bought the dice and subscription thinking I would eed it with the used TCM I installed but it worked fine without reprogramming. Also, service engine comes on. How do I reset it

You should change out the transmission fluid first. To reset the service engine on you will need to plug in an OBD2 scanner to reset it.

You could also remove the battery terminal and reconnect to reset the light. However you should fix the root of the problem.

The service engine(not check engine) will not reset with OBD II or by disconnecting battery. It stays on about 2 minutes when engine is cranked
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code sets when the torque converter clutch has been commanded to lock up and it either doesn't lock at all or slips excessively. Degraded fluid will sometimes cause slippage or chatter during initial engagement. As mentioned, it would be a good idea to try replacing the fluid first, being sure to use the correct fluid and no additives. If the problem remains then it will require replacement of the converter.