internal88
internal88, Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working on Import and European vehicles for 15 years. Diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

Can I tow a standard shift Volvo C70 behind my motorhome

Customer Question

Can I tow a standard shift Volvo C70 behind my motorhome with all for wheels down?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin just to confirm by standard shift you mean manual and fwd?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean a manual with a front wheel drive. You may also need to know it is a 2007 Volvo C70
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Yes in that case you will be fine to tow the only downside to this is the mileage will clock up

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin,
I have spoken to my local Volvo dealer and they say that I will damage the transmission unless I put the car on a dolly. I don't want to spend the bucks on this Volvo C70 standard transmission if I will damage pulling it with 4 wheels on the ground. Please explain why, in your opinion this method of towing will not hurt the transmission.
Lane
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

In my opinion it will not cause an damage when a manual gearbox is in neutral it doesnt engage any gear and will turn freely the difference being if it were auto the gear is still engaged and this can cause damage. I will opt out that way you cab get another techs view

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - different tech there.

I would recommend you to put the front of the vehicle up on a dolly and only let the rear wheel on the ground. That way the transmission is free from any friction.

Please rate me positive, thank you!