Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 S60 volvo that I just replaced the knob

Customer Question
shifter. Of course it killed...
I have a 2004 S60 volvo that I just replaced the knob shifter. Of course it killed the battery being I couldnt get keys out.
I can jump battery to start and I replaced the the shifter and the car shifts in all gears.
When I put it into R or D, it will move a foot and then seems to lock up and not move. I can do this over and over with same results. Sounds like a large clanking noise on occasion in R.
What can I do to fix this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
When the knob shifter broke, I was away for 2 months before I came home to fix the car, so it was sitting for about 8 weeks.
2/22/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Was there any issue with transmission shifting before it was parked for the 2 months?

Did you just replace the shifter knob or did you replace the whole shifter assembly?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore at times I need to ask for more information

I had come home from work and could not get the car out of D or N. Saw a pin had falling out of the knob and the push button on the shifter was broken (plastic). I bought a new OEM shifter, the knob handle and the piece that connects the knob button to the linkage, it slides down into the shifter thing inside. (thin square metal about 6: inches long).Because I could not shut car off I let it run out of gas in my driveway, which it did. It killed the battery that evening.I went to euorpe for almost 2 months before I could fix, thats when I installed the new Shifter assembly.
I had no issues ever with this transmission or shifter before.

HI,

Did you transfer the gear selector assembly stop and the reverse inhibitor solenoid from the old shift assembly to the new one

I didnot have any wires to disconnect. Just pulled up on the knob handle and the knob handle and the shaft came out. The new one fit right into the slot and the knob snapped into place.
What is the gear assembly stop and reverse inhibitor solenoid?
If I did not dis connect any wires, do I still have to do what your mention about the gear stop and solenoid?

Sorry, I think I misread it and thought you replaced the whole shifter assembly that bolts to the floorboard. I am not sure where the fault lies with yours. I will opt out and see if another expert knows and can help

Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is this an AWD S60? or just FWD? thank you. The noise it's making has me a bit worried about the angle gear. Can you verify where the shifter cable bolts to the top of the transmission, that the transmission shift lever has full range of travel with the gear stick, this is easiest to do with someone inside shifting the transmission from P to L while you watch the transmission shift lever out under the hood and see if it has full range of motion. The lever will move about 3-4 inches on top of the transmission when shifting from P to L .

This is a FWD.
Their were no issues before the Knob handle and shaft were broken.
Will the VIN # ***** with full ID of car?

Thats alright, It's a 04 S60 T50 with an automatic. I'm familiar with the set up. So the whole car will roll a foot? in either direction D or R, before it stops like you put on the brake?

that's correct.

Alright, where the transmission shift lever out on top of the transmission moves with the shifter cable, Can you verify that it does move 3-4 inches with the shifter cable. Also, with the engine running, is the check engine light on, or are you getting any warning messages on the instrument cluster info window?

With the engine running, there are no check engine light on, just a message that the air bags should be checked.Not sure where to find the shift lever and the shift cable. Can you be more exact? Sorry

Hello, Sorry for the delay, I just got power on here in NC due to massive storm. Look at this picture, the middle arrow points to the area on the transmission where the shifter cable will be. it's up top. and will have a cable going to it, with a rubber boot around the cable.