Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Our check engine light keeps coming on (2006 xc90 V8) and

Customer Question
tripping the emergency brake light...
Our check engine light keeps coming on (2006 xc90 V8) and tripping the emergency brake light as well (which dings incessantly). We were told by Volvo that we need a new ECU module but we're away on holidays. I'm wondering if I can manually reset the computer to get rid of the error code?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't really tried anything, but I was thinking about disconnecting the battery and doing a "hard reset" to clear the codes. I don't know if that will work though.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Volvo Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: The other error code we are getting is "Anti-Skid Service Required"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
2/20/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 1 year ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

The Only thing you can do is disconnect the battery for ten minutes and this will clear any codes .

Then reconnect the battery and start the engine , if the check engine light is still "ON" then you have hard

codes .If the light goes out then test drive and wait and see if the light comes back on .

NOTE :

If the check engine light is ON when the engine is running and you have no drivability issue you can and may keep driving with no issue what so ever ,"BUT" if the check engine light is flashing then you should have the problem checked and repaired as soon as possible.

Now with the Anti Skid light being on this may be due to a bad wheel speed sensor, that will also trip on the check engine light .

So quick recap, check engine light ON when engine running and have no drivability issue. then keep driving until you are back home .

the only issue you will be having if the engine is running good is that you will not have the Anti skid system .

When you get home then have a second opinion on the problem with the ECU needing replacing .

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician