Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i was choking/stalling and idling rough. I

Customer Question
am not a mechanic. I...
2005 Volvo V50 2.4i was choking/stalling and idling rough. I am not a mechanic. I can't afford the shop quote...just to look at it. I have a little experience with cars and am proficient with brakes, tuneup, the basics. So I cleaned the airbox, replaced the filter, cleaned the throttle body. It did not fix the issue. Then it made the bad vacuum pump noise and now it doesn't start. I feel like this may be fairly simple, but beyond my knowledge.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well, it started while driving-especially up hill-the car would act like the transmission wasn't shifting properly and then the idle would struggle and the car went into limp mode. After that it got worse (rough idling and dying)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
2/1/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Tell me what you can do or have done or need help doing?

Did you have it scanned to see if there are codes stored?

Do you have the ability to check the fuel pressure, ignition spark and injector pulse, since it now will crank and not start?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cleaned and physically checked everything attached to the air system, including the Throttle Body. I've been reading on it every day.Did you have it scanned to see if there are codes stored?
I live in a rural area, and am fighting back financially after a year off with a broken neck. So I have not been able to. I am trying to see, while at work, if Oreilly's will loan a scan tool. Will I need more than one tool to check it out? I got a code up on the dash after playing with the read button that said 232.Do you have the ability to check the fuel pressure, ignition spark and injector pulse, since it now will crank and not start?
I am not very familiar with these areas but I can look into it.

Most parts store will do on site free scanning but can only see engine related codes.

Injector pulse is checked with a noid light plugged up in place of an injector. The light should flash while cranking.

Fuel pressure is checked with a gauge connected to the fuel rail then the key turned on.

The ignition spark is checked by removing a plug and grounding it to the engine then cranking the engine to check for spark.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician