Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Working on a 2005 Volvo V70 2.4 non turbocharged. Low oil…

Customer Question
Working on a 2005 Volvo...
Working on a 2005 Volvo V70 2.4 non turbocharged. Low oil pressure after replacing oil pan seals, car drives fine for first 3 miles no oil light. Whe the light comes on there is evidence of noise indicating no oil. Can shut engine off immediately and start it right back up and instant oil pressure.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
1/26/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Re check the work that was done which may involve removing the engine oil pan to see if any seals are blocking any oil ports.If any seals are found to be blocking any oil ports then this will cause this here and would need to be corrected.Check the engine oil pick up tube/screen at the bottom of the engine for any debris or sludge build up needing cleaned out to correct this here.Usually one of these will cause this type of fault here needing corrected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I'm a 32 year ASE mech. I have removed the pan 3 times. New OEM Volvo o ring kit, new filter. Removed pick up tube and cleaned. Start the car drive it 4 miles oil light comes on. Noise comes out around the VVT cover on the front of the engine. Kill the engine and start back up in less than 20 seconds, oil pressure immediately comes back. Drive another 4 miles oil light comes back on and noise is back. Repeat like clock work every time. Not worried about the pump because pressure comes back in less that 20 seconds of cycling engine of and back on for 4 miles of driving.
The nature of the problem has not changed one bit from the time the car was dropped off to the removal of the oil pan and new o rings. I removed a half cup of hard deposits from the pan and pick up tube. Still no improvement.

Have you inspected under the valve cover to see if there is sludge build up that is blocking the oil from draining back to the pan.I have seen this occur before and then when you turn off the engine the oil drains back faster as the engine isnt running keeping the oil up top and will correct this for a short time.I would check and see if this is the cause here.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete I have not checked drain ports. On another job at the moment. Will not work on car till tomorrow. Thanks

O.k.,let me know if you find anything here at all.

Thanks Pete