Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

M NAME OS ***** ***** I HAVE A 2012 VOLVO XC90 LOUD NOIS…

Customer Question
M NAME OS *****...

M NAME OS ***** ***** I HAVE A 2012 VOLVO XC90 LOUD NOIS WHEN IN IDLE RAISE RPM AND IT STOPS

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

WHEN CAR IS IN IDLE MAKE A SHUDDERING NOIS THAT HURTS YOUR EARS WHEN IN THE CAR RAISE IDLE TO 1000 RPM THE IT STOPS

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
1/26/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you