Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Volvo 2004 XC90 suddenly the rear tailgate won't…

Customer Question
I have a Volvo 2004...
I have a Volvo 2004 XC90 suddenly the rear tailgate won't open with the remote and I have kids so the child safety lock is on. I hit the remote and I hear a sound like it's trying to engage but doesn't. Is there a way I can unlock the tailgate from inside with a screw driver?
Please help
Albert in Seattle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
1/25/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Albert, Eddie here and I will try to help, If you push the release button on the outside while trying to lock and unlock the door with the remote, does that help any? You can get it open, BUT, you have to pull the interior hatch panel from inside sitting in the cargo area, and it is a royal pain, You don't happen to have the interior hatch panel off right now do you?

I tried your first suggestion the other day before contacting you and it didn't work. The child safety lock was switched on in the past to prevent my kids from opening the tailgate. So playing with the interior hatch panel has not effect the lever arm is locked in place. I took the cover off and removed three screws and it didn't make any difference. The tailgate is locked there is no way for me to get it open if I could get it open I would have no need of your assistance. Is there some way I can pop the lock from inside the interior cabin.....?

You can pop the lock from inside the cabin interior, however, you have to take the door panel off, completely off to see the latch and unlatch it manually by pulling the unlock rod. Do you have the panel off? I'm talking about the entire panel that covers the interior of the hatch.

The tailgate is shut and locked, I can't open it to take the cover off. Again is there a way to pop the latch with the cover on because I cant take the cover off because the tailgate is locked.

I understand. I've had to take them off inside the car before , Then you can get it open once you can get to the door lock assembly and the lock rods. I really wouldn't recommend it if your not familiar with that operation though because you usually tear them up getting them off while the door is shut. The only other option without really damaging anything, is dropping by a locksmiths shop, or calling a mobile locksmith and tell them you have an XC90 locked out of the rear hatch. They have some special tools available that they might be able to break into it with the tailgate closed, A locksmith's lockout kit has some key and cylinder turners that they may be able to get into it with. It's either that, or pulling the panel off from inside the vehicle to get to the lock assembly. I've had to break the lock assembly apart before with an air chisel when it was seized before. Hopefully it won't be that bad. let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Thanks for the information I will find a locksmith, thanks.

Absolutely, Thank you. at this point I believe it is the best option.