Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

We can turn the key to the start position, but the engine

Customer Question

Customer: We can turn the key to the start position, but the engine doesn't crank. Lights come on, etc., and the battery is newer.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2003 Volvo S40. What other details do you want to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. let me ask, is this a automatic transmission or manual transmission? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, Try this first, Move the gearstick down to L then Neutral, see if trying it in neutral helps. let us know what happens, thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If that doesn't work, Then try jumpstarting it with another running vehicle and jumper cables just to give it some extra voltage to the starter motor. I believe it's either the neutral safety switch or the starter motor, and likely it's the starter motor.

If moving the gear stick to neutral and jumpstarting it doesn't help, then you can possibly get it to start a few more times by hitting the starter motor with a long screwdriver or tire iron and a hammer while somebody HOLDS the key in START position. This jar's the starter motor and can make it crank a few more times. If it cranks after you perform this test, then it will definitely need a starter motor then. Pull the small wire off the starter motor solenoid (it just pushes on) and make sure it's clean and not corroded as well. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of this worked, though, to be honest, I couldn't actually find the starter. A YouTube video showed the guy pulling large hoses off (the turbo, perhaps) to get to it. I couldn't be doing that in a snowstorm & in a store parking lot. Had the thing towed to a shop just 2 miles away.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, I believe they will likely replace the starter, it is down under the intake and hard to see but you can hit it with a prybar or tire iron. Let me know if you have any further questions. Shouldn't charge more than 2 hours labor. It's fairly easy one to replace. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, it looks like it's the ignition switch itself. Had the thing been in my garage, I may have been able to correct it, but . . .oh well.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, Don't see a whole lot of ignition switches on these cars give trouble, but it is possible. Thank you.