Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

What is the next step in diagnosing my Volvo s60 misfire? My

Customer Question
What is the next step...
What is the next step in diagnosing my Volvo s60 misfire?
My Volvo with 195,000 miles started misfiring pretty badly the other day. It misfired while idling and also under load. I took it to autozone to get the codes read and it said it was a misfire in cylinder 2. Even though I had changed the spark plugs about 10k ago I bought 1 new spark plug to put in cylinder 2. When I changed the plug the problem improved about 80%. It only misfired slightly at idle and a bit more when going up a hill. I then decided to replace all 5 coils but the problem persisted. After I did that, I changed the injector in cylinder 2 with a used injector and the problem seemed to actually get a bit worse. Finally, I had heard that Volvo's are pretty finicky with aftermarket spark plugs so I ordered a set of OEM plugs. I just put them in and again the misfire seemed to improve. I don't know what to do from here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
1/23/2016
Volvo Mechanic: internal88, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
internal88
internal88, Mechanic

Hello, I'm Brandon.

The aftermarket coil is the problem especially the one under Wells from Autozone.

I highly recommend using only original Volvo coils ( not aftermarket).

Also I would like you to put a bottle of techron fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

Volvo Mechanic: Andy, Volvo Expert Technician replied 1 year ago
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. Fuel injector cleaner is not going to help. There are steps to take to diagnose this instead of guessing. If you'd like, I can go over what needs to be done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would very much like that. What about Brandon's opinion about the aftermarket coils?

You should at least start with replacing the #2 cylinder coil with factory coil.

If it still misfire with the same coil then we can go forward with the diagnose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to clarify, I replaced all 5 coils with aftermarket parts, but cylinder 2 is the only one that continues to misfire. I have ordered a OEM coil just in case anyway. Wouldn't all 5 cylinders misfire if it was the aftermarket coils?

THese aftermarket coils from Mexico or China is very inconsistent. Their specification are not 100% on the mark with OEM. I have bench test these coils against the OE units before. They are little bit different in the graph.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK well I sure hope this is the issue. As a side note, when I changed the coils I noticed the spark plug well over cylinder 2 had a little ring of oil towards the top of the well. It looked like there was oil seeping between there but the spark plug did not have any oil on it. Not sure if this is relevant or if I simply spilled oil when filling. I will update when new coil comes in.

ok, keep me posted.

While an aftermarket coil may fail early, I wouldn't suspect it to fail immediately. I'd be happy to go over the diagnostic process, just keep in mind we are only credited for helping when rated positively and there are two experts involved so you would need to rate accordingly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your input Andy. I would like to go over the diagnostic process. What is next? compression test?

First, you can check to see if the coils are firing fairly easily. With the engine running and the coils unbolted, just pull one up slightly to disconnect it from the spark plug. You should hear the spark arc from the coil to the plug. This will rule out the possibility of a bad coil. If all coils are firing and the spark plugs are new and correctly gapped but you continue to get a code for a misfire in cylinder 2, I would suspect a mechanical problem with the cylinder. A compression test can indicate if there is a problem. A cylinder leakage test can pinpoint the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I will do this tomorrow to see if the coils are OK. As a side note the engine does not misfire at all if I keep it revved in neutral or park. Does this point to a specific issue?

Okay, let me know. Misfiring under load shouldn't be too hard to pick point with a compression and cylinder leakage test.

Did you have any other questions about this? I see the question is still open

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician