Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Blinking Engine Light resulted in Transmission Control

Customer Question
Blinking Engine Light resulted...

Blinking Engine Light resulted in Transmission Control Module, Supplemental Restraint Module, Driver Information Module, PSM Power Seat Module, Climate Control Module and Audio Module ALL show in my Volvo scanner. Is this evidence that my Central Electrical Module has failed? What are my options?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

XC70 2003. It suddenly started a few days ago when my engine starts off slow when first turned on and eventually drives normal but it is an off and on thing. Sometimes I can put the gas pedal to the floor and it either doesn't or simply delays acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

I have a little time

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
The power seats, a/c & heat and radio all work. Vehicle runs rough and lacks strong acceleration when driving to and from work.
7 Total Fault Codes; the UEM Up Electrical Module being the 7th fault (the first six are listed above in the initial question)
The UEM is directly related to my siren alarm being out. I am more concerned about why my engine is running so rough.
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician already answered this question on July 27, 2011. It has to do with P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfires and in my case, it is the P0301 and P0303 Cylinders 1 & 3. In addition, I have an P0016 code which indicates the Crankshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A. I already replaced one of the Oxygen Sensor Part No.(###) ###-####in August 2014 but apparently I changed the wrong one because the code never went away.
After further research, I needed to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor to remove the P0016 code which is a lot cheaper and easier to install than the other Upstream and Downstream Oxygen Sensors.
1/23/2016
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The misfires may be a number of things including ignition system issues, localized vacuum leaks causing individual cylinders to run lean, injector issues, valvetrain problems or cylinder sealing issues. You likely have more than one issue going on, the misfires and the P0016 are likely unrelated. If the timing issue was causing misfires it should be affecting most or all cylinders.

P0016 sets when the cam and crank sensor signals aren't in sync and could be caused by an inaccurate cam or crank sensor, but is more often caused by incorrect cam timing.
Has the cam sensor now been replaced?

I will get the cam sensor and coil for 1 & 3 shipped on tommorrow.

Great!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician