Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2005 Volvo S60. I had a leak fixed by a mechanic. He…

Customer Question
I have 2005 Volvo S60...
I have 2005 Volvo S60. I had a leak fixed by a mechanic. He did the cam seals changed water pump and put on a timing belt . It ran fine but after about 4 miles the no oil pressure reading came on. I stopped thought I just needed to add oil it was s little low, so I added some but it still came back up. I talked to the mechanic he said it was sludge so he changed the oil pan seals and changed oil and filter. We left it running for half hou thought it was good. No oil pressure reading came up again. I then looked online and read about the oil pressure sensor. So I changed it , ran it for half hour drove it about 20minutes then same reading.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
1/21/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here, It does sound like the engine is slightly sludged up, I say slightly, because if it was really bad, it wouldn't run 20 minutes before you got that indication of low oil pressure, What I would do if it was mine, is add 1/2 a quart of diesel fuel to it, let it run about 15 minutes at idle, then change the oil, When installing new oil, I would try to find some 0-40w synthetic motor oil, at the most go 5-20w. You want a very light motor oil in that engine that can flow well with restricted passages.

After putting in light motor oil and changing the filter, put 1/2 a quart of marvel mystery oil in with the new oil. this will overtime desludge the engine and change the oil every 3K miles repeating it at the oil change interval with 1/2 a quart of diesel fuel idling for 15 minutes, then changing it again. I know that is somewhat an involved process, however, your only other option is to disassemble the engine and hot tank it to get rid of all the sludge, which I don't believe if absolutely necessary at this point. I believe if you do that, You've got a good chance that the engine can be cleaned enough to get back to normal operating condition.

I can try this but my concern is driving it with the no oil pressure reading. I have only drove it to test. Which were the 3 situations I explained earlier and stopped once the no oil pressure stop safe reading came up. I don't want to destroy my engine. Before I had the leak fixed I did not have a no oil pressure reading. I know he had trouble with the timing because he said that he had to do it manually because he didn't mark it before he took of the belt. Could that cause this issue he said it wouldn't start if it was off even one tooth. Also I did add the mystery oil after he did the oil pan but used 10-30 synthetic oil. Also from reading I did test to check pressure by using a glove on the oil fill and it supposed to suck in. Mine blows up some. Any input would be great.

I follow you, take the oil cap off and take a flashlight and look in the engine, does it look sludge up and black and like a oven that needs to be cleaned in there? or does it look relatively clean and shiny? Pull the dipstick out, is it clean? The problem is this, If the engine is sludged up, then sometimes you can help but destroy it, unfortuantely, the damage has already been done so to speak. Did the car ever have this low oil pressure problem before the camseals and put a water pump on?

No it did not have a no oil pressure reading before I had the leaks fixed . At that time he said because he was in there it would be a good idea to change the water pump and timing belt so I did. After that I drove approxamitly 4 miles when the reading came up. Also yes it does look a little dirty where you can see.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I proposed a live conversation at your request. If you do not wish to have this conversation, We can continue in this chat forum. thank you.

Chat forum is fine
Waiting for response from my last forum

Alright, You stated that the top of the engine under the oil cap looked to be dirty, What I think may have been possible is, when he put the cam seals in, he may have disturbed some of that working on it, and may have broke loose some of that sludge putting the seals in, which in turn may have fallen down and blocked the pick up tube screen slightly. but he should have noticed that when he pulled the oil pan, You really have two options at this point, 1 option being what I stated earlier, of running 1/2 a quart of diesel fuel in it, at the oil change interval for 15 minutes, then draining it out, and refilling with oil, 1/2 quart of marvel, and very lightweight motor oil for 3K miles and repeat that. Which is what I would do. Or, you have the engine disassembled and hot tanked and cleaned, or replace it with a re-man or used engine. I really don't want you to have to go with the second option yet. I believe the first one is the best course of action at this point.

it is ok to drive even though it says no oil pressure stop safely.

While I don't necessarily like the idea, at this point it is what I would do, but I would put 0-20w motor oil and a 1/2 quart of marvel mystery oil in it first.

and hopefully overtime the mystery oil will slowly de-sludge the engine and it will restore it to full oil pressure again.

The reading no oil pressure comes on after a half hour or so when the motor is warm. Isn't that also when the oil is thinner, but I should be using a lighter weight just confirming .

Oil is a bit thinner when warm correct, I think what is going on, is that the loose sludge builds up around the pick up tube after the engine runs for a while, restricting oil flow. and a lighter weight oil may get around that. Just to be 100% sure I may would request the technician that you had work on it, perform a mechanical oil pressure test. where a mechanical gauge is screwed directly into the engine and oil pressure is read off then via a dial gauge, vs. what you see in the instrument cluster. I believe the oil pressure to be low, I would just like to confirm it, and how low it really is, is it 2psi. or 8 psi, if it's 5 or more, your likely alright.

Do not want to have that machanic check anything I forgot to tell you he had trouble with the timing because he did not mark it first. He said he did it manually and it wouldn't run if it was wrong. I would rather check myself. Where do I check the pressure from.

I understand that. You will need a oil pressure gauge to check it, and the oil port is on the front lower area of the engine. You will have to remove the oil pressure sending unit, and install the oil pressure gauge and then crank the engine and check the pressure.

I found where I can get a gauge tomorrow. I drove my car right now for over an hour around my neighborhood the no pressure reading came on about 40 minutes in. I turned off the car for less than a minute and it went away then it came back in about 20 minutes turned it off for less then a minute again and it went away for another 20 minutes. Do you think that sludge you were referring to blocks but drops off when the car turns off till it builds up and blocks again.

Yes, that is what occurs, the oil pump constantly draws when the engine is running, and when you turn it off, some of the oil will unblock the pick up tube as it runs back down the pump and tube when the engine is turned off.

Hello, Any luck with the oil pressure reading?

It seems to be working without the reading coming up. But now that i am driving it I am am getting a p0016 an p0017 code the crank and camshaft position. Not sure if that is replayed to the mechanic doing the timing belt

Alright, I'm really not familiar with those codes so let me opt out and another expert can then assist. Thank you.