Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Serpentine belt on a 2008 xc90 I'm ***** *****
, when I…

Customer Question
Serpentine belt on a...

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When I turn my wheel to the left or right. it looks like its putting the power steering in a bind and burning up the belt

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
1/18/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

as the 1st step I'd pop the belt off and have a feel of all the pumps and pullies all should turn freely with no tight spots

if you feel the power steering is tight then I'd 1st suggest replacing the fluid with fresh as this can make a big difference

Yeah I'm not sure how to take the belt off. Never worked on this car before.
Do I have to remove the power steering pump to replace the belt? The old one needs to be replaced.

Hello

OK when you look into the engine bay on the LHS you should see the belt running over its pulleys and there will be a tensioner on a sprung loaded arm that pushes against the belt.

its always a good idea to take a photo of the belt run beforehand

You may find access easier if you remove the driverside wheel and the engine bay cover inside the wheel arch, but it should be possible to do the job from the top.

Now the tensioner will either have a square hole in the arm or you use a ring spanner or socket wrench on the pulley nut to move the tensioner off the belt whilst your assistant slips the belt off the pulleys.

you then fit the new belt following the same run as before and relax the tensioner back into place, ensure that the belt is square and true on all the pulleys and that should be it