Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

The turbo turns red hot when running, what causes that? 2006…

Customer Question
the turbo turns red hot...
the turbo turns red hot when running, what causes that? 2006 S40, standard
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/17/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor with over 30 years experience. I also have access to a pretty good database on automotive service and repair. All of which enables me often times to offer you an educated guess on what the problem with your vehicle might be. However, if you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help you if you…

… don’t have tools or the skills to use them

… don’t know there will probably be some special tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

… don’t realize it may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

… don’t understand that I will need you to provide specific information

The condition you describe can be caused by things like valve timing being off allowing still burning mixture from the combustion chamber to go into the exhaust - a faulty knock sensor signal can cause the PCM to retard timing as well. Another contributor can be a clogged exhaust system. Yet another could be too much fuel pressure (there is no regulator in this MY) or too rich of a mixture allowing raw gas to burn past the combustion chamber.

As you can see, there are several factors involved that need your attention. The OBDII computer should identify some of these things and set and store corresponding codes, so scanning for codes would be a good place to start. The correct way to check for a clogged exhaust would be by performing a back pressure test. However, temporarily removing the front O2 sensor would be another way to check for a severely clogged exhaust; if the engine picks up power with the sensor removed, then the exhaust is clogged.

As I stated, you should start with a scan to see if there are any current or pending codes then go from there.

If after reading my introduction carefully you're ready to work with me, please let me know and we'll start right away.

Best Regards.