Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a Volvo s60 with a 2012 that is having trouble

Customer Question
Hi Edward, I have a Volvo...
Hi Edward,
I have a Volvo s60 with a 2012 that is having trouble shifting out of park. it is intermitant.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Dan, Eddie here, it is possibly the brake light switch or circuit. One way to verify that is when it does it, see if your brake lights work, if they do, then it is likely it is the shift lock solenoid sticking or possibly the solenoid itself. If there has ever been a sticky drink spilled in the console area, then I've seen that cause it quite frequently. It requires removing the console to get to the solenoid and linkage and cleaning them off with electronics cleaner. I believe the problem lies in one of those areas.

Now to make sure you do not get stuck again, this model is equipped with a shiftlock override, in the event the battery dies, you need to tow it, Volvo was smart enough to include this feature, under that rubber mat that is behind the center console, pick that mat up and put the key in the access hole, and push the key DOWN. Then move the gear stick to N, you can start the car in N. then you can drive it normally after starting in neutral and shifting it to D or R to move. Here is a link to the procedure in the owners manual, Go to page 119 and take a look. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2012-Volvo-S60-Owners-Manual.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Eddie! Do you have instruction for how to access the interlock to clean it?

move the seats all the way back, and the side of the console can pop off, Then you can see the linkage with the solenoid that moves everytime you touch the brake pedal in park. Being this vehicle is fairly new, and depending on mileage and service history. I would at least inquire at the selling dealer to see if they may would cover it or at least meet you 1/2 way on a repair. I have worked on cars that repairs were warrantied that were alot older than yours before. Just wanted to give that idea as one to pursue. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Eddie. Which side should pop of the side of the trim - passenger Side? do you have any diagrams? or more elaborate instructions for cleaning? Dan

Hello, sorry for the delay, The left side is the one you want off, I am sorry, I only have 2 aftermarket type information sources, and being this vehicle is relatively new, the interior/body is a category that isn't in there. even if it was, unfortunately it is copyright protected so I couldn't post it here anyway as the copyright police would come get me!. If you move the seat back and pop the cover off , then look for the solenoid plunger that moves back and forth with the brake pedal, that is what you want to clean and make sure is unobstructed. I use brake cleaner, but it does smell pretty bad. but it does a great job, I leave all the doors open so the car airs out well. You could use electronics cleaner as well, or even 409 or some type of household cleaner would work if there is anything sticky down in there.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician