Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

My 2005 xc90 is leaking Coolant. How do I know what to

Customer Question

My 2005 xc90 is leaking Coolant. How do I know what to replace?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. You need to open the hood, take a flashlight and try to pinpoint what is leaking. Leave the engine idling and see if you can see where it is coming from, common points are the expansion tank where you add coolant, and heater hoses, radiators can develop leaks overtime. There is a pressure tester that is used to pump up the cooling system to around 14 lbs of pressure, where the cooling system runs normally when the engine is warm. I would not recommend a stop leak type product because it sounds like this leak is big enough where that will not help. Check the small hose connection going to the expansion tank, sometimes it will break the plastic nipple off where the hose connects. Just keep safety in mind around those hoses if the engine is warm. Hot antifreeze will burn you so be careful and let the engine cool slightly before checking it for leaks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That actually wasn't the problem. I went to check where the leak was and the coolant was streaming out of a block lug. Here is the video
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

that is a freeze plug and can be replaced, some shops may recommend doing them all, but I have just replaced the leaking plug and its been fine before that entire plug comes out with a hammer and a chisel, then I use gasket shellac on the new one, knock it in and I havent had much trouble with them leaking after repairing it that way.