Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My name is ***** ***** I just changed water pump on 2004

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** I just changed water pump on 2004 xc70 with dual CVVT It was very difficult to see the timing marks I"m not positive I have them but I think so. I've tried multiple configurations. The problen is it won't fire I did a compression test on #1 and #3 next to it and have 0 compresson on either cyl. It sounds as though the engine is turning over but no compression building up. I suspect it has something to do with the CVVT they were not removed at all but i did rotate them by hand both CW and CCW? Do I need a different procedure other than just lining up the timing marks with the notches in the plastic cover?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2004 xc70; changed water pump so timing belt was removed, has dual CVVT that wasn't removed but now I have no compression and car won't fire
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'll be back I'm going to keep searching
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the timing belt was installed incorrectly this can cause the pistons to come up and hit the valves in the cylinder heads and bend the valves causing no compression.Usually this is the case here when you see 0 compression on any of the cylinders.I would re check the belt routing to make sure you had the belt on properly.If you did not I suspect the valves may be bent needing the heads replaced or rebuilt and in some cases the pistons replaced in the engine if they were damage in any way at all.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete I still don't have the car running. and I suspect it's a slight timing issue. Here are the specifics.
After 20 minutes of cranking it sputters and got it to start once but it's only firing on 3 cyls (tested this by pulling injector wire off and on cyl 1& 2 from the left pulling the connector makes no difference in engine idle speed. The other 3 make a big difference. was able to drive it around the block on 3 cyls but next morning I can't get it to start again. Only a few sputtersI verified I have compression with a compression test 120PSI
I verified I have spark
I verified I have fuel rail pressure about 50PSI
I verified I have voltage at the injector with key on I get light on my trouble light on 1 pin of the injector connector
If I put my test light between ground and other other wire of the injector the fuel rail pressure drops to 0. I turn the key on an build pressure and do this to each injector so I believe the injectors are not clogged and are firing manually when I supply the ground path. I don't know if computer is telling them to do so though but given all this issue started with a water pump change where everything else was running fine I'm more suspicious that it's timing. I even towed it to a shop and they had it for 3 weeks and told me it's a wiring harness problem. I don't think so I think they also couldn't get the timing right. How Can I know if my timing is good or not and it something else like the ECM. So summary is extremely hard to start and when it did I only had 3 cyls firing
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.I apologize as most of our conversation is not showing up here.I cannot see what I have posted to you.This is an known issue Just Answer is trying to resolve.Can you see my conversation to you and if so can you post it here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.