internal88
internal88, Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working on Import and European vehicles for 15 years. Diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

My volvo xc90 has been having issues with the transmission

Customer Question

Customer: my volvo xc90 has been having issues with the transmission and then today it has just stopped. Engine powers but doesn't engage. I am waiting for it to cool down and then will check transmission fluid levels. Could it just be low or is it more likely more serious?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when i drive sometime it doesnt engage and will just rev before finally going in gear with a klunk then today after a 30min drive it just wouldnt go into gear
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon.

yes, low transmission fluid could have the same symptom that you are having.

Also burnt clutch pack and bad torque converter can also prevent the transmission from engaging.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

From the experience, the klunking noise is most likely coming from the bad torque converter.

The only fix for that will be a transmission replacement.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

Sorry for the bad news.