Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2013 xc90 and when temp gets to 80 and above i can

Customer Question
be driving and hear a...
I have a 2013 xc90 and when temp gets to 80 and above i can be driving and hear a siren or whoop whoop sound (intermittenly of course). Cant figure it out. happens with my feet on breaks or not, at stop sign or not, seems like comes from behind driver seat, i thought it was a cop pulling me over. dealer cant hear it (of course it is intermittent) so not sure what it was. he checked brakes etc didnt fix. Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
12/15/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with one of the rear wheel bearing/hub assemblies starting to fail.The internal bearings can cause odd noises like this here at certain speeds as I have seen several times before and had to replace the bearing/hub assembly for this issue here.I have even heard some that sounded like a helicopter was trying to land on the vehicle just to show you how odd these can sound.

If the rear wheel bearings were not checked for play or wear this needs done.If a fault is found with one or more of them they will need replaced and can be common.This usually requires a hoist to lift the vehicle onto to check for bearing play and an automotive stethoscope to listen for the noise.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician