Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

What do the following fault codes mean? 2-3-1 ECM-4131

Customer Question
What do the following fault...
What do the following fault codes mean?
2-3-1
ECM-4131
ECM-4190
ECM-5A5A
What fault tracing is required for each of the codes? It's a 2004.5 S40 T5
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
12/9/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

These codes here are not Volvo or standard OBD codes.In allot of cases code numbers come up like this here when an incompatible scan tool is used to read out the codes.If you can you will need to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers and that is fully compatible with your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then will need diagnosed.Places like Auto Zone will usually read out these codes at no cost.If you can get the codes re checked and post them here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car is with a independent certified volvo mechanic, he provided me with the codes. The local volvo dealer recognized the codes (said they were old ones) but would not tell me what they meant or the fault tracing that needed to be done, I assume because they want me to bring the car to them. I need someone who has access to the Volvo computer system to track these errors, do you have that?

Unfortunately my info isnt listing these codes here.These still sound incomplete for this model but I will see if anyone else here has any more info on these.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Volvo Mechanic: Andy, Volvo Expert Technician replied 1 year ago
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealer technician. I have access to Volvo's VIDA system and none of those codes are listed for that model. "2-3-1" is not even the correct format for the codes. Can you double check them? Are you in the US? Why didn't the Volvo mechanic who gave you the codes diagnose them?

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician