sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Recently purchased 2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD, 220000km, have

Customer Question

Recently purchased 2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD, 220000km, have no service records but appears well-maintained, and I do know the timing belt was done at 214,000 km. MaxiDiag 802 shows hydraulic pressure fault and faulty pump in differential, there does appear
to be a small fluid leak on the differential. Two questions: When releasing the cruise control at highway speed, there is a way-wah-wah kind of whine sound like the sound of an industrial saw powering down gradually. Is that normal turbo whine or could it
be a differential low on oil? (Never hear the sound otherwise.) If the differential needs topping up, how do I know when it's full? Also, today temperatures dropped just below freezing and there was a significant change in the auto transmission, the 1-2 upshift
had a noticeable (like a good 1-second) lag, and the 2-3 did somewhat as well. Is that transmission trouble or just means its due for a flush and refill? There's no dealership around for 200 miles, so can I do it myself, and with what fluids?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The noise you're hearing could be gear noise. Improper contact between the ring and pinion gears in the differential will cause a whining type noise that is throttle sensitive. Pinion bearings can cause a throttle sensitive noise also but it should be more of a growl. It's possible that the leak has allowed the fluid to run low enough to cause damage. Low fluid in itself won't cause a noise but will cause accelerated wear to components in turn causing noise.

You mentioned it happening when canceling cruise, is that the only time the noise is produced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only time I've heard it is when cancelling cruise at highway speed, but I suppose it would do the same if took my foot off the gas.

If you accelerate to the same speed where the problem happens and then coast do you hear the noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure I'll have to try that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Might not happen now anyway it's gone really cold up here last day or so

Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok

Thanks.