Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

How do I re time cam phasers to cam shafts? 2003 s60 2.4

Customer Question

how do I re time cam phasers to cam shafts ? 2003 s60 2.4 with dual vvt
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did cam seals for the first time ever and took the phasers off without marking them to the cams so I have no clue about how to retime them and the cams in the heads , I also to not have a cam locking tool......rock and a hard place
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hi.. Sorry you have waited so long for a reply. I just logged in and saw your question so I figured I'd see if I can help. I am attaching a PDF that I think will have the information your looking for. Please let me know either way. If it wont help you with you then I will do what I can to get you the information you need. I have to leave soon, but will return in a few hours. thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip4gcpr7pk54g8z/vvt.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so I lock the crank so then how do I position the cams and then position the phasers on to the cams?

To align the camshafts, you will need a specific tool. I am unaware of another method not using the specified tool. https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4m16sqs9yzaesc/cam%20tool.pdf?dl=0

I will opt out in case someone else here is more familiar with that engine and can provide you with a method of doing that without using the tool.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here. Do you still need help with this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The info he sent was erased
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like the PDFs he sent,sent to my email.i spent money and he bailed on me I'm not happy at all

There are no charges until you actually accept and rate an answer from an expert. Also, since all experts on the site work indepently from each other using their own personal databases, I can provide you with basically whatever technical information you need to solve your issue.

I'd also like to clarify one thing I noticed from the previous expert's comments that might be confusing to a DIYer and that was his statement regarding the tool "To align the camshafts, you will need a specific tool". Actually, the cams need to be aligned by hand before you install the tool to lock them in place. So, you don't need the tool as long as you can keep'em in the right position throughtout the procedure - as an option, I could rent you the cam locking tool for $100 plus shipping to and from with a $300 deposit.

I also would like to know if you're planning on replacing the cam seals as well - the internal seals on the VVT units are not serviceable, so you'll need to replace the VVT assemblies if those are leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,diyer real professional.im a master Ase cert tech with 15 yrs hands on. I've never done volvo and was thrown into this.i just need help .if Volvo would have put alignment dowels on the vvt phasers I wouldn't be here or if I would have watched YouTube first . How bout let's be professional

As a retired Master Technician and Adjunct Professor of Automotive Service Technologies at JS Reynolds CC in Richmond, VA, I am a Mechanical Engineer proficient in all types of automotive service on vehicles up to 2008, so I can be as professional as you need me to be. Having us both established our credentials, tell me what can I do to help you get this Volvo going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the cams out and unknowing in bolted the phasers from the cams and now I have the crank at marker and the cams ready to be locked how do I time the phasers back to the cams . I have the gears timed to the cover but the phasers have to be rotated to forward rotation or reverse in there 30 degrees that they rotate .correct ? I'm ready to lock them down just not sure which way to rotate them if you understand what I'm saying

First thing you need to do is align the cams from the rear of the engine. This procedure needs to be done before installation of the cam cover since it would be very hard to turn the cam once the cover is tightened down. As you will see, each cam has a 3/16"" wide slot across it that is positioned slightly off-center of the diameter line; you'll need to align the cams with the slots in a horizontal position as shown in the attached graphic and secure/lock them somehow on that position until the timing belt is installed (the graphic shows a hand-made locking tool. You can also use a straight steel ruler). Once the cams are aligned, the VVT/gear assemblies will bolt to the front of the cams in the right position aigning with the front timing cover marks (see other attached graphic).

Please let me know how you're doing so far.

Best Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all of that ready .i guess I can just fab a tool . So I have everythingexactlyhow you showed so far ...so it's safe to tighten th phasers down as long as the cams stay locked correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't be working on it again til Monday so I will let you know then if I runs right

You're probably OK, but just so we're sure, look at these instructions from Volvo regarding alignment of the VVT units:

Installing The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Units On The Camshafts

NOTE: The purpose of the "Installing the VVT unit/timing gear pulley" section described here is to ensure that the VVT unit is correctly positioned and to reset the camshaft timing gear pulley to the correct position using the
markings made at the factory. This is to ensure that the conditions are correct for any later fault-tracing.

1. Slacken off, but do not remove, the screws which secure the timing gear pulley to the variable valve timing unit. Press the timing gear pulley and variable valve timing (VVT) unit on to the camshaft.
  2. Install the center screw which secures the variable valve timing unit to the camshaft. Tighten slightly.
  3. Turn the variable valve timing unit counterclockwise as far as it will go. Remove the center screw.
  4. Position the upper timing cover.
  5. Turn the timing gear pulley clockwise until the screws at the oval holes are in the limit position. Continue turning clockwise until the timing gear pulley marking is 1 cog before the marking on the upper timing cover. (see attached graphics)

Best Regards.

Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply.

Best Regards.