Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Headlights flicking relay clicking underdash no turn signal

Customer Question

Headlights flicking relay clicking underdash no turn signal or wipers
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better with this here.

Did all of these issues start to occur at the same time or are these issues that all occurred over time?

Has anything been tested/checked or replaced for this issue at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All at once yes been tested
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what was or has been tested already?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just what I said in question
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k. all of these components are controlled by the CEM (central electronics module).This is a computer/control unit that controls and monitors these as well as other components.The CEM itself is a common component that can fail and causes this issue here.This control module is located as a separate unit in the relay box under the dash on the drivers side as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/z80t34hcvzh5uyp/cem-10-26.gif?dl=0.

When it is replaced the dealers VIDA communications unit is needed to program it to operate in your vehicle unfortunately or it will not work properly on your model.

The new CEM is around $750 and about an hour to replace.I have heard that if you locate the same model and year vehicle with the same part number and options as your vehicles CEM you can remove and install it with no programming needed for allot less.One place I use for used parts is http://www.car-part.com.Unfortunately my info on this model for some reason is not giving me the part number of your CEM.Usually you can call a dealers parts department to ask for the part number from them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.