FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

2006 Volvo S60 T5, replaced spark plugs on 145,000 miles.

Customer Question

2006 Volvo S60 T5, replaced spark plugs on 145,000 miles. Completed job and started vehicle with no problems. Took it out for a test drive and when accelerating heard this quick pop sound with a bunch on wind that sounded like an raft being popped or something. Engine lost power, running very rough and barely got it back up the hill to park it in my driveway. When pressing on the accelerator it boggs down and then catches back but barely. Parked it then opened the hood and of course I realized messed up. The air charge pipe that rests over the top of the engine that connects to turbo in the back of the engine had disconnected because I forgot to tighten it back up. I then put it back in and re-tighten and still the same problem. Did I break my turbo? Now what? Very concerned as I might have done something serious to it. Please help
Category: Volvo
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Is it still making the same noise or is it just losing power?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine is very hard to start and keep running. The RPM's go up and down on its own and wants to die and if I don't press the throttle it will usually just die. I can't drive it as I don't want to drive down my street and get stuck. I went and double checked the air charge pipe that connects to the turbo but did not find any disconnects. There are not any other noises to report really.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Leaving the pipe off would not damage the turbo if you did not drive it long. Is the check engine light on? If it is then you need to clear the codes and see if it will drive better. It may be in limp mode. Also make sure that none of the wiring near where the hose was off were damaged from the heat.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the engine light is on but it has been on for awhile due to the, "General Need Maintenance" message due to oil changes...but I give it oil changes every 4-5 thousand. How do I clear the codes? I am unable to get it to the shop. Can I just disconnect the battery and reconnect? Double checked the wires and no damage.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

You can try disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up. The only right way to do it is with a computer scan tool that you can get at most auto parts stores.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will try the battery first. Will head to the auto shop and see if they will let me borrow their scanner tool. Hard for me to get a scanner tool as I might have to order on Amazon or something because I am currently living/working overseas but will require some time? When I get off of work will disconnect and reconnect the battery and see if that works. Earlier today when I did the re-inspection of the engine I noticed some wires on the coil pack in cylinder 4 were corroded. The wire conduits literally crumbled in my hand and then I saw two wires that looked like they could of been touching (due to the wire shielding was cracked and copper exposed) when tucked away. I since then cleaned them up, re wrapped them in electrical taped and ordered some wire conduit plastic to keep them from the heat. Thought that would of fixed it but it did not. Wanted to let you know just in case.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

That can definitely affect it. If you can get the codes it may reveal that you have a control circuit issue also. What kind of plugs did you use?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But was weird because during the initial installation of the new spark plugs the corroded wires were not discovered at that time. After the plug installation I started the engine, closed the hood and everything ran fine until I went down the street and heard the air noise (from what I think was the turbo air charge pipe blowing out because it was not tightened down) Thats when the engine started to chug and run bad. When I got it home and parked and 1 day later I noticed the spark plug wire issue. Yes I will work on getting that code tool from the auto shop. Do you think that the turbo pipe blowing out like that could of caused the MAF or Fuel pressure sensor to trip up? The only reason I ask is because I have been reading the Volvo repair internet all day lol!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

The computer will try and compensate for the boost being low. Resetting everything may solve it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh yeah I used NGK but do not not have the model numbers on me but can get them later. Sense then as a test I re-installed the old spark plugs just to be sure. I double checked both plugs looked the same in shape but ones in there were Volvo OEM and the ones I bought were ordered from the auto shop. Again this was really just pre-maintenance to try and stay ahead of the game and then I had to go and forget to tighten down that air pipe....what a drag
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

When that happens usually it is pretty straight forward. If nothing else was damaged outside of the tube then it should be fine once you reset the system. I am concerned about those wires though. If they are covered then they should be fine, but the connection terminals may not be connecting too good either.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably will not be able to get that tool until Tuesday as Monday is a holiday. When I get off of work will try and disconnect/reconnect the battery and see if that changes anything. Yeah hoping your right...and when I get the chance will check again because I heard of cracked air pipes causing this issue as well but didn't really see the reason to check all the other air pipes if the one that popped off I did check but ya never know. Then I heard something about 2 vacuum hoses that connect to one of the turbo intake air pipes? Not sure but going to look
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

You need to make sure that none of the hoses are disconnected as it will cause the pressure reading to be off. Let me know what happens when you do this and we can continue if needed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will do and thanks for listening
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.

Any time. If I can think of anything else to check off of the top of my head in the meantime then I will send it over.