Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

My 2004 xc90 volvo is smoking through tail pipe very bad.

Customer Question
my 2004 xc90 volvo is...
my 2004 xc90 volvo is smoking through tail pipe very bad .
but engine sound good, with no knocking . what could be the problem?
the turbo charger?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
9/27/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** color is the smoke? Does it smoke more when accelerating and less at idle? Thanks.

More when acelarated , more grayes
Does it smell like oil or fuel? Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke oil, and white smoke coolant. It sounds like you probably have a blueish smoke which would be the turbocharger. You can remove line from turbocharger to see if there is oil in it, if so you know turbo is leaking. You can buy a turbocharger from ebay to save money otherwise they are pretty expensive. It is about a 9 hour job book rate to have turbocharger replaced at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

I do also want to mention problem could be related to PCV system which would be a lot cheaper fix so it would probably worth bringing to a shop that works on Volvo so nothing related to PCV system is overlooked. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan , that was my honch also
The car is running kind of sluggish
So the would over rule the pvc
Correct?

It would point more toward turbo but not rule out PCV. If it has ALOT more smoke under acceleration that also points a lot more toward turbo. But I'd still test PCV system before replacing turbo. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions, thanks.

Ok
Thanks

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Dan, Technician