sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Volvo xc90 that just recently has the issue of

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Volvo xc90 that just recently has the issue of the engine running very rough at the initial start up of the day. If I shut it off then restart it again, it runs perfectly. It only does this the first time it starts each day.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing it to run poorly on startup. It could be an ignition system related issue but it's more likely to be fuel related or possibly coolant entering a cylinder. Often a cracked head or headgasket issue will allow coolant to leak into a cylinder while the engine isn't running causing the affected cylinder to run poorly until the coolant is expelled and burnt off. It's very possible that you could have an injector leaking also.

Have you checked for fault codes?