Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 1991 240 sedan. Hard to start and quits. Our

Customer Question
mechanic ended up replacing both...
I have a 1991 240 sedan. Hard to start and quits. Our mechanic ended up replacing both fuel pumps and crank sensor. It still runs like crap. It has been tuned up and has new plugs and wires etc. THe problem seems to be temperature related. When cold, it starts and runs fine. But when you heat it up and turn it off, it won't start and when it does it won't idle without cutting off on you. You have to drive it 'two footed' to keep it on the road. Our mechanic has worked for two weeks on this car. Very frustrating. He's says the only thing we haven't replaced is the computer and the engine! Any ideas on this problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
8/29/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing may very well be a failing computer but in order to help you determine if that is the cases can you have your mechanic scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting in the system and post back with the results, can you also have him check the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring from the new pumps and post those results as well?

My mechanic says the computer is not the problem. We have put in new fuel pumps, mass air sensor, crank sensor. For awhile it began to start allright but the problem is persisting. It could be related to the fuel pumps being faulty. Now my Volvo seems to have a bad fuel pump. can't win.

If the fuel pump is slow to prime then that is correct, A properly working fuel pump should cycle up t 43 to 44 PSI on the first turn of the key and hold steady. If that not happening then the pump is defective.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician