I have a 2001 Volvo s40
Turbo. It has been great car for 15 years....few problems.
Here is the chronology of what has been happening for the last 3 weeks. Can you please give me advice?
1) With foot on the gas pedal the car slows down, almost stalling. No vibrating or noise made. Usually when on slight incline, then hills. Sporadic, not every day. When it goes into this mode the car loses steering capacity and no steering is possible.
2) One day the car did this and I lost steering; almost crashed into telephone pole. Made it to place and had it towed to a foreign auto repair place. Here is what he found doing 1.5 hours of diagnostics: "Car in failsafe due to code 91 which is DSA module communication failure leading to improper antislip activation.Also misfires badly under load.Probably coils and plugs.Other codes present a 1 ect sensor and 5a cat inefficiency. 76 code stored in transmission module but scan reveals no code in that module."
They said they needed another 5 hours of diagnostics at $94 an hour.
I had the car towed back to my house because a friend said her mechanic could fix this; "he was a wizard and fixed all the autos on their ranch."
3) 8/15: Mechanic came and did a complete tune up (air, plugs, coils, fuel filter), said it
needed two catalytic converters. Did the tune up to see if that would improve things. Least invasive first....
Car continued to have intermittent problem of losing power with loss of steering capability.
4) 8/21: Tested the diagnostics at Auto Zone and found these codes: PO 705, sensor A circuit, PO 351A, PO 700, PO 128. Ordered a rebuilt TCM (Transmission Control Module) and installed this.
5) Car then drove fine for one day- no problems.
6) Yesterday the car did the same thing and lost all steering for a block. Had just turned a corner on flat area. Car crashed up on sidewalk with steering wheel locked up. Could not move it. Towed again to my friend's house. Tow truck driver was able to drive the car up onto the tow truck...
1) Does this mechanic sound like I should continue with him? Is he on the right track?
(I am not sure if he knows foreign cars or not....)
2) Can you give me some sort of idea of the problem or what I should do? I have already spent almost $800 on this problem and it is not fixed (although it included the tune up!)
3) Should I have it towed to a mechanic 30 min. from here who does foreign cars-- but he says he doesn't have a diagnostic capability to check for ALL the possible problems with his particular equipment.