Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor pulley with a

Customer Question
different length engine belt, rather...
Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor pulley with a different length engine belt, rather than change out the AC system? The bearings on the AC pulley have failed and to repair the AC for that car is cost prohibitive.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
8/25/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Yes you can get a shorter belt to bypass the ac compressor without any problems. There is not a specific belt for this setup so you will need to measure it yourself and then get the correct size belt, you can use a piece of string to measure. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Could you please send me more detail, like a diagram identifying the pulleys involved. Thanks

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cy9fbi7g4v37t7/belt.PNG?dl=0

-

Here is a diagram, the red line is the route the new belt will take. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

That's very helpful. Can you please identify the pulleys located just before and just after the AC compressor pulley, moving in a clockwise direction? Thanks

The pulley on engine before the AC compressor is the crank pulley. The pulley after the ac compressor is the idler pulley, then to power steering pump, then to tensioner, and back to crank pulley.

Gotchya! Thanks. Are there specific features such as groves that must be present in the replacement belt? How would you go about finding the replacement belt?
If you go to parts store with measurement they should be able to find the belt that is supposed to fit on your vehicle then find you the same style in correct length. Let me know if you have more questions ,thanks.
Ok, thanks! Just to make sure I've got it right, the biggest pulley that's at the top is the tensioner pulley then down below that is a pulley I don't have a name for, then the crank, then the AC, then the idler, then power steering?
I updated diagram and labeled everything, check link again. Thanks.
Perfect!
Is the diagram for the S60 the same?

No, do you have a S60?

does that change your answer?

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gsgd8wnr3wto4u/s60.PNG?dl=0

-

You can still bypass compressor and you still need to measure belt. You will also need to remove compressor pulley as it will be in the way. Here is a diagram for you.

Ok, great. Is it possible to remove the whole compressor without having to remove the whole compressor?
Meant to say remove pulley without removing the whole compressor

You should be able to, I haven't tried it myself. As long as there is enough room to slide it off you will be ok. Thy do have cheap compressors you can buy remanufactured or used on ebay too as another alternative to bypassing. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Thanks!

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a great day.

Will do........you too

Thanks.

Dan, Technician