Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor pulley with a

Customer Question

Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor pulley with a different length engine belt, rather than change out the AC system? The bearings on the AC pulley have failed and to repair the AC for that car is cost prohibitive.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can get a shorter belt to bypass the ac compressor without any problems. There is not a specific belt for this setup so you will need to measure it yourself and then get the correct size belt, you can use a piece of string to measure. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please send me more detail, like a diagram identifying the pulleys involved. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cy9fbi7g4v37t7/belt.PNG?dl=0

-

Here is a diagram, the red line is the route the new belt will take. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very helpful. Can you please identify the pulleys located just before and just after the AC compressor pulley, moving in a clockwise direction? Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The pulley on engine before the AC compressor is the crank pulley. The pulley after the ac compressor is the idler pulley, then to power steering pump, then to tensioner, and back to crank pulley.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotchya! Thanks. Are there specific features such as groves that must be present in the replacement belt? How would you go about finding the replacement belt?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you go to parts store with measurement they should be able to find the belt that is supposed to fit on your vehicle then find you the same style in correct length. Let me know if you have more questions ,thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks! Just to make sure I've got it right, the biggest pulley that's at the top is the tensioner pulley then down below that is a pulley I don't have a name for, then the crank, then the AC, then the idler, then power steering?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I updated diagram and labeled everything, check link again. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the diagram for the S60 the same?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No, do you have a S60?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that change your answer?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gsgd8wnr3wto4u/s60.PNG?dl=0

-

You can still bypass compressor and you still need to measure belt. You will also need to remove compressor pulley as it will be in the way. Here is a diagram for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, great. Is it possible to remove the whole compressor without having to remove the whole compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meant to say remove pulley without removing the whole compressor
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to, I haven't tried it myself. As long as there is enough room to slide it off you will be ok. Thy do have cheap compressors you can buy remanufactured or used on ebay too as another alternative to bypassing. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do........you too
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.