sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a volvo 2007 s40 cranks but wont start. I check easch

Customer Question

i have a volvo 2007 s40 cranks but wont start.
I check easch air intake pipe and they VACUUM and BACK PRESSURE
what is the problem
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a volvo 2007 s40 cranks but wont start. I check each air intake pipe and they VACUUM and BACK PRESSURE what is the problem
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if you may have an exhaust restriction. If you have pressure pushing back out of intake runners when cranking the engine then that tells you that exhaust isn't able to leave through the manifold and it's pushing back into cylinders and then into the intake. A restricted catalytic converter can prevent the engine from starting because exhaust can't escape.
When cranking the engine you're feeling pressure from the intake runners?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will disconnect the exhaust and test itThank you
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this car equip with safety that if no oil pressure it prevents it to START?
Low oil pressure will not prevent starting and would not explain positive pressure in the intake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't get me wrong I m trying to understand. Before I disconnect the exhaust I put my hand to tail of the exhaust pipe it also giving me slow suction and blow suction an blow. THE TIMING BELT replaced on this car at 94k miles and there is no indication of timing belt been slack or damaged. As I m thinking and escalating the issue could it be CRANK POSITION SENSOR?
The crank sensor would cause a loss of spark.
Has cam timing been verified since the no start condition started?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Car has 120k miles and timing belt done on 94k miles it has not been the issue but to verify the timing do you have link to look up the timing setting
Have you investigated the exhaust yet?
Do you have a scan tool to look at cm/crank sync?