Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

05 s80 driver side headlight working but dim. replaced

Customer Question
connector but still dim other...
05 s80 driver side headlight working but dim. replaced connector but still dim other side perfect.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
already paid 26 dollars, now what? no answer
Keep getting new tech asking same questions, wanting to pay again?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/10/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect the wiring leading to the bulb for any issues with it being corroded,damaged or shorted at all.If an issue is found with any of the wiring it will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.If this is all o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
No wiring issue, replaced connector with a new one . Same problem
Does your model use the Xenon head lights or standard Halogen headlights?
Halogen
O.k.,the voltage to the head light comes from the CEM (central electronics module) which is a common component to cause electrical issues and can cause low voltage issues causing a dim light.When it fails it usually needs replaced.
One thing to check before concluding the CEM is the cause is there should be a brown wire at the head light.This is the light ground supply.Try jumping a good ground to this wire to feed a good ground to the light temporarily and see if the light then works properly.If it does then the ground signal was the issue and the ground fault needs to be located and repaired to correct this here.If this does not correct the fault and all wiring is o.k. the CEM needs replaced.
Thanks Pete
Will try that ....
O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your ready.
Thanks Pete
Pete, Tried last fix with no luck. I was off from work when I first tried Just Ask Sunday and had time to try.I am working now and do not have time to dig deeper. I can contact later this week when I have more time. Wish I could have talked to you sunday.
If jumping a ground to the lights did not work this sounds like the common fault of the CEM itself needing replaced.I apologize for the delay in response.You can reply here when your ready or when you have time.
Thanks Pete
Well, tried the jumper not the fix still dim , mechanic says he does not think it is CEM says Volvo has issued TSB for headlight problem. Will report back when find answer. Thanks
Pete, Technician