Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2006 volvo s40 2.4i purchased a few months ago. MPG

Customer Question
is bad, for city driving...
I have a 2006 volvo s40 2.4i purchased a few months ago. MPG is bad, for city driving, with a lot of stop and go traffic, and traffic lights. It is around 15L/100KM for a 15 minutes, 7KM drive if I drive normally. If I drive really really gently on the accelerator, the best I can do is 12L/100km. Would you consider this normal, or can anything be done to get better MPG ? Spark plugs has been changed, with OEM plugs, a few weeks ago. Long term fuel trim when idling is around 0.95 One problem that hasnt been looked at is the fuel pressure drops quickly to below 100 kpa when engine is turned off. Any possibility that one of the fuel injectors is leaking? No error codes when scanned with VIDA. Recently, the original radiator fan spoilt, and I changed it with a non-original fan. It turns on more than the original fan, and is very loud. Coolant temp usually stays around 90C on obd2. When I changed the spark plugs, a vacuum hose connecting to bottom of the upper intake manifold came off. I have reconnected it, but can't find what it does. It seems to be connected to a sensor. Do you know what it does ? tyre pressure is at 38PSI all round. engine air filter was changed 8 months ago. I have not looked at the throttle body, or MAF sensor. O2 sensors not changed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
7/25/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
car has self diagnostic if something is wrong it will turn check engine light on than that can effect your mpg but you dont have that what indicates your all sensor are working in range . what you see as mpg is normal those car burn lot gas . best to calculate is dont go by digital dash display that is not that accurate in real life . best empty tank note how many gallons you put and than how many miles drive to empty total and than calculate mpg with full tank that will give you overall average
.
I usually get around 13.5L/100 (17.4 MPG) on a full tank. This is calculated when topping up from empty tank.Would cleaning or changing any parts potentially help increase MPG ? eg. clean throttle body, or MAF etc.Is there any information on how much petrol is used, per minute, when a 2.4i engine is idling at stop light ?
Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician