Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo S40: . steering wheel blocked, engine won't start,

Customer Question
hi. steering wheel blocked, engine...
hi. steering wheel blocked, engine won't start, had to tow the car. can the steering safety module(the one located uner the steering wheel) be repaired or i need to change it?
volvo s40 2005
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
Let me be more explicit: I have a problem with my 2005 Volvo S40 2.0d. Inserted the key but instead of the loud click sound heard 3 low clicks. Turned the key, the dashboard lights blinked as normal but nothing happened. The car didn’t started. The steering column is locked and a message appears. Unfortunately is in German. I searched on some Volvo forums and I found things related to the steering column safety module. This thing happened to me once in the past and I used a solution found on these forums: moving the steering wheel with one hand and in the same time hitting the steering column with a hammer. And it worked, but this time I had no success. My question is if this safety module can be fixed or it needs to be replaced. And if afterwards the cars software needs to be dealt with. Please help me. The Volvo dealership won’t answer me without taking the car to them and without performing a test. And that is 300 km away and the towing and the test cost me around 150 euros.
7/23/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Andy, Volvo Expert Technician replied 2 years ago
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to help with your question today. The Steering Column Lock (SCL) is the part you are referring to. Sometimes when they fail, they either stick in one position (locked or unlocked) or report the incorrect position to the car's network. When either of these failures occurs, the car cannot be started.
A failed SCL requires replacement. After replacement, there is a software download that is required because the SCL is part of the vehicle's immobilizer system. It contains the data for the keys, which are programmed to the vehicle.
Also, because it is part of the immobilizer system, it cannot be bypassed. The only solution is to have it towed to a dealer for replacement and programming.
Let me know if you have any other questions. When you're all set, please remember to rate my service. Rating does not change the cost involved, it simply allows a portion to be shared with me for my time. You can always follow up at any time, even after rating. Thank you and good luck.
Did you have any other questions? I see you had a chance to review the information provided
Hello, I see you have again viewed the information but have not requested any additional assistance. If you are all set, please click a rating. As a subscription customer, there is no extra cost to you. Thank you.
Is there anything else you need? Is there a reason you are not replying or providing a rating? As a subscriber, it does not cost anything more.
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician