Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Volvo VN770: TimI have a 2003 Volvo with a D12C engine.

Hi Tim I have a 2003...
Hi Tim
I have a 2003 Volvo with a D12C engine. I'm getting engine oil in the coolant, and I read your answer to another person about checking for a leaking head gasket or cracked head. I'll have my mechanic check that. However, about the same time that I noticed the oil in the coolant, I noticed an external oil leak at the coolant pump. Could oil be leaking into the coolant there? Also, my Volvo shop is sure that the problem is the oil cooler (I have 1.1+ million miles on my engine). He quoted me 10-12 hours to change the oil cooler. Is that likely?
Thanks for your advice!
Norm
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/17/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 7 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hi I'm Kevin sorry to hear of your troubles firstly it's very unlikely an external oil leak would make it's way into cooling system . The oil cooler and head gasket are the only real possible causes of the oil getting into the coolant I would agree with volvo and say cooler is the most likely cause as if it were a head gasket fault you would normally have other running issues that would come with head gasket fault
Hi Kevin.Of course, I didn't think an external oil leak would make its way into the coolant, but I figured that if there was an external leak at the water pump then an internal seal or seals would be failing and there could be an internal leak as well. If so, could the engine oil be getting into the oil due to an imperfect seal between, say, the oil at the gear drive and the coolant in the pump, or some other way? The oil accumulation in the coolant has been fairly slow.Also, I had asked about the 10-12 hours labour to change the oil cooler. What is the book time? If there isn't a book time, does 10-12 hours sound reasonable?Thanks,
Norm
So sorry norm I misread question as v70 not vn 770 slightly different i don't have enough info to guide I'm opting out someone with better knowledge of your vehicle will be along soon
ok
Volvo Mechanic: Dan, Road Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Dan, Road Mechanic
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would suspect the oil cooler as well. Time is hard to judge not knowing the vehicle directly. We use this motor on our equipment and it isn't common with that motor. But the cooler is a pretty common part failure for your symptom. The water pump is gear driven off the timing gears so there is a slight possibility of that being the cause. Since it is leaking its worth changing either way but my experience would be the cooler being the culprit.
Thanks Dan. Now, to finish off my "Ask" (maybe you didn't see the whole thread), my Volvo shop said it would take about 10-12 hours labour to change the oil cooler. What is the book time? If there isn't a book time, does 10-12 hours sound reasonable?
Hello Norm, sorry about that. Trouble with my connection to web. SO on the time frame I would say it is reasonable since the cooler is on the side of the motor and half that side of the motor needs to be disassembled to replace cooler. So I would expect an oil; change to be included in the cost. I check bulletins on ours and found none concerning this failure. I think its normal wear and tear. thanks
Dan, Road Mechanic