Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo v70: , I have a 2001 v70, t5. i have replaced

Customer Question

hello,
I have a 2001 v70, t5. i have replaced the head gasket and am trying to install the timing belt. this vehicle has VVT on the exhaust cam and had to be removed. I used the cam lock tool(###) ###-####and crankshaft at tdc with tool(###) ###-#### Im using all-data's DIY section to complete.
I have installed VVT unit with sprocket screws slacked. I was directed to turn the timing gear pulley so that the set screws at the oval holes are in "the limit" position (im assuming to the end of travel?) then I turned sprocket clockwise until timing gear pulley marking is one tooth before the marking on the timing cover. I have torqued the fastener to 88 ft-lbs and the mark is still one tooth before the timing belt cover mark. I tightened all set screws per all-data.
I installed the timing belt and twisted the spring loaded VVT unit to the timing mark on the cover. all timing marks are in alignment and I turned the crank manually 5 times and everything looks good.
My concern is that the set screws are all the way to the back of their oval (with no adjustment room) and with the sprocket fully clockwise.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to help you with your question today.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
The position of the three smaller screws is really irrelevant. That is not where the CVVT makes the adjustment. The adjustment is done between the CVVT hub and the cam. The pulley simply bolts to the hub.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
When you tightened the center bolt with the mark one tooth off, that is setting the limit for the CVVT adjustment. The adjustment range is from that point to as far as you can rotate it clockwise once the center bolt is tightened. As long as the belt is installed with the CVVT hub rotated fully clockwise, you're good since you had the cams and crank locked. The cams, crank, and CVVT hub are all properly aligned. At that point, the oval holes don't matter and even the timing mark doesn't matter- it's simply there for when the belt needs to be replaced in the future.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any other questions about this?