Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo XC90 V8: I have a xc90 2006 v8 and noticed a loud snap

Customer Question
I have a xc90 2006...
I have a xc90 2006 v8 and noticed a loud snap sound at both idle and at speed. It sounds like its coming from the belt area. The snap sound almost sounds like a spark.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
7/6/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Yes I still need help...I'll ping you when you come back on.
I too agree, this sounds like it would be coming from the belt driven components, possibly a damaged spring in the tensioner. Watch the belt while this occurs to see if anything odd can be seen. Can you make this occur, if so remove the belt and run the engine a max of 4 minutes and try to duplicate it. I would like to rule out the belt components prior to looking into mounts, exhaust seals, or possible broken torque converter fin. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician