Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S60: my s60 reduced engine performance message came on

Customer Question

my s60 reduced engine performance message came on and it will not run faster than 30 Km per hour, can I have this reset as I am not near any service station?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Usually when that message appears it is the ETM that has failed. You can try this, disconnect the battery in the trunk, both cables, and with both cables away from the battery, touch the neg. and positive cables together, this will discharge all the memory in the modules and will reset the ECM and the CEM. That may work for a while, if it comes back on, or that doesn't work, you'll need to check the codes first, and then I believe you will find that the ETM has failed. Volvo had a big issue with that component. the ETM is the Electronic Throttle Module. At the dealer they are fairly expensive, but you can order one through Xemodex.com or send yours off to have it remanufactured. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible this message can be caused by the gas tank fill cap being lode and impacting the closed tank system? I found the gas cap lose from the last fill.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
It would set a code, but, usually it is just an EVAP code that is set, for emissions. It isn't a code that would cause a "limp mode" type condition. At least I have never seen a gas cap cause one to go into limp mode. Is it turbo or non turbo?