Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Volvo XC90 V8: I have same problem: gage showed 1/2 tank but…

Customer Question
I have same problem: gage...
I have same problem: gage showed 1/2 tank but my car stalled in the highway. Car was towed to nearby autoservice on weekend. What should I do? How much is the cost. George
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Volvo
I just received from autoservice that there was no gas in the tank even though gage was indicating 1/2 during driving.
What is the next step? How much is the cost?
6/23/2015
Volvo Mechanic: dramey, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
dramey
dramey, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, this issue can get tricky, there is two sending units in your fuel tank since the fuel tank is a saddle tank. The left reads through the right side, if it is the fuel pump side sending unit is bad it does come as a entire unit from Volvo this runs around a 5 hour job and the parts 550-700
Now there are also 2 modules that get the data from the sending units what is the rear electrics module and the display module please make sure the shop has the equipment to be able to do the fuel level readouts from side to side in the tank and the total fuel the two modules for proper diag. Let me know if I can be further assistance. Thanks Doug