Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Question mechanic since Andy is offline. My 1999

Customer Question
Question for Volvo mechanic since...
Question for Volvo mechanic since Andy is offline. My 1999 Volvo V70 T5 wagon..... Andy, as I said last time, replacing the accelerator pedal and sensor unfortunately did not solve the problem with sudden stalling while stopped or at low speeds, bucking
but but not stalling at say 30 mph or higher. I've had the car advertised for sale, stating the problem for a few weeks now, still not sold. Recent development, I'd been holding out, wanting to sell to someone who's experienced with Volvo and had a good candidate.
I drove the car appx. 100 mi to meet up with him. Unfortunately, he rejected the car not for the stalling but because the interior was a bit rough for him. Anyway somewhere on the*****back, the cruise control stopped working. That had been an issue
before having the ABS module rebuilt and during the problems with the old throttle body. The cruise has worked fine up until this road trip. Also, at the end of the trip, I noticed for maybe the first time ever that the radiator fan stayed on after shutting
the car off. The temp gauge was right where it has always been. It shut off after several minutes and has been running after stopping even after short 10 min trips. I just mention it hoping that it might mean something to you. Drove it for 10 min yesterday
and the check engine light has come on. This has happened a few times since the stalling problem started but has always gone off by itself. The code is P0103 which I understand has to do with fuel and air metering. I had replaced the MAF meter a long time
ago before having the throttle body rebuilt. It didn't seem to make much of a difference. So, main issue is the stalling but curious about the cruise (I see no specific fuse for the cruise in the manual) and the cooling fan running. It's been suggested that
the ECU be replaced. If I buy a used ECU online from same or similar vehicle will it work without reprogramming?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 4 days by:
6/15/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this does sound like a possible engine computer/ECU failure causing this fault here with all of the different issues your model has.I have seen the ECU fail in the past before on several models and cause faults like this and had to replace it.
If you install a used one a dealer will have to program it to work in your model.I would contact a dealer first to make sure this is possible to have a used one programmed to your vehicle as some models this cannot be done unless a new one is installed.
Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician