Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Volvo 740: does a 91 740 have points or crank sensor? my distributor…

Customer Question
does a 91 740 have...
does a 91 740 have points or crank sensor? my distributor is mounted on the back of the head. i am getting a weak spark at the plug end of plug wire. won't start but tries to.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
5/28/2015
Volvo Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Hi! I’m Juan and my goal is to help you solve your car issue.
The electronic ignition ECU controls primary windings of ignition coil using signals from fuel injection ECU based on crankshaft position, engine speed and vehicle speed. Turbo models use a Hall Effect sensor, located in distributor, to determine crankshaft position and engine speed.
A weak spark can be caused by a bad coil. To check primary winding resistance, disconnect the coil from the harness and place an Ohmmeter between the coil negative (-) and positive (+) terminals; normal readings should be 0.6 - 0.8 Ohms. To check secondary, place an Ohmmeter between the coil negative (-) terminal and the high tension tower terminal (where the coil wire goes); normal readings should be 6900 - 8500 Ohms.
Engine coolant temperature sensor is used by the engine computer to determine how much fuel the engine needs to start and run under different temperatures and conditions.
Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply.
Best Regards.
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician