Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Volvo S60 2.5T: The car turns over but no spark. I had quite

Customer Question

The car turns over but no spark. I had quite a bit of the front engine dismantled as I did the PCV breather as well. I just now found one connector that has no connection that i can see. It has 6 wires and 6 connector holes but I have no idea what it connects to. Any idea?
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is a pic of the connector end and the wires if that helps.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This looks like the wiring connection for the electronic throttle actuator itself.Check and see if this is plugged in at all and if not plug the connection into it and see how it operates then.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do i need to remove the manifold to get to it? I assume it is located on or near the throttle body...
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Looks like these need removed to gain access to it.
Remove:
- the air intake between the front cover plate and the air cleaner (ACL) housing
- the charge air pipe between the charge air cooler (CAC) and the electronic throttle module (ETM).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/asnaftt5pisr0g9/eat-05-25.gif?dl=0
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did find the connection but still no spark when it turns over.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Since this wasn't the cause here and wasn't an issue until the repair above was done I would re check all wiring on the engine to make sure all connections are plugged in properly and that no wiring is found damaged at all needing repaired.
Double check to make sure all fuses are good as well.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't see anything else that would cause problems. however i did remove all of the spark plugs to clean them due to oil residue from the pcv breather being 100% plugged. two of the boots were torn so I replaced them. it's possible that i did not get the boots/wire seated back fully onto the spark plug. also, the engine is turning over fine but with no spark at all do you think the timing belt repair could be that far off that there is nothing happening? seems it would be struggling to start. there were two instances (first try last night and first try this morning) where the engine did a slight back fire and then nothing after that. does that mean anything?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
The slight back fire can indicate timing issue here.If you haven't inspected the timing components to make sure everything is aligned properly this needs done as well as checked for any timing components that are damaged/worn.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i checked out the timing belt and marks. all are still correct. nothing looks amiss, just no spark. to be sure I checked the release valve on the gas rail and there is good pressure there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pete, i also noticed that after i turn the crank to line up the marks and then turn two revolutions it will have one small backfire (looks like the turbo hose jumps) on the next start attempt and then nothing else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one more thing, as i turn the crankshaft by hand to line up the timing marks i hear slight popping noises which I assume are the pistons. is that a good indicator of there being compression?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Make sure you have no vacuum leaks and if the spark plug boots are suspect as a fault they will need replaced.Lack of fuel or a vacuum leak or improper engine firing will cause the back fire and no start here.
As long as the engine isn't stopping when you turn it by hand and it doesn't sound like metal contacting metal then this would be the cylinder compression you most likely hear.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pete, i just pulled a P2135 code. any thoughts on what to do? I looked on the internet and have not found much.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Code P2135 indicates a fault with the accelerator pedal position sensor.This sensor is attached to the fuel pedal and is part of the gas pedal itself.Your computer is most likely disabling spark due to the sensor not sending a signal or sending an incorrect signal.Check and make sure nothing is pushing on the pedal and inspect the sensor wiring and connection on it.Clear out the code and see if the code comes right back again.If the code comes back again I suspect the accelerator pedal itself needs replaced.
Thanks Pete