Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo s40 turbo: i have a 2001 volvo s40 that has a p0171 lean

Customer Question
i have a 2001 volvo...
i have a 2001 volvo s40 that has a p0171 lean code and misfire codes on all cylinders on cold start ups. both long term and short term fuel trim seem high. i recently changed a frozen turbo, and did the timming belt and cam seals. was running fine before. also the car sat for a year but always started good the few times i did start it. i also swapped out the airbag module because i got a code from changing the seat belt.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
5/13/2015
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it's setting a fuel system lean code and missing when cold then a fuel issue is very likely. Low fuel pressure would definitely be the most likely cause for what you're having. I would recommend checking fuel pressure under the conditions where it acts up, if pressure is low and the ump's power and ground are good then replace the pump.
I checked pressure 45psi when turn to on position. running is 35psi. goes up to 40psi when i turn it off and holds pressure. also changed pressure regulator. I changed the pump and filter also. pump was from a good running s40.
Did you check under a load while driving?
No. How would i do that?
Scan tool?
You would check with a fuel pressure gauge.
So like on the open road? How would you close the hood and see the gauge?
You would use a gauge that has a hose long enough to run out of the engine compartment and secure it in a place that can be seen from the driver's seat.
Ahh ok will try that. What am i looking for as far as pressure?
It should stay steady and not drop lower under a load.
when I give it gas the pressure doesnt go down. any ideas?
Have you checked the ambient, intake and coolant temperature sensors with a scan tool while the engine is cold to see if they all agree and show the correct temperature?
The coolant temp looks normal. I changed the coolant temp sensor anyway with volvo sensor. How do you check the intake temp sensor?
A scan tool would be needed to check these sensors.
I have a scan tool with like 300 pids?
You'll need to look at intake, ambient and coolant temperature with the vehicle cold and see if all the sensors agree and are correct.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician