Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo v70r: Thinking about purchasing a 2004 v70r with a broken

Thinking about purchasing a 2004...
Thinking about purchasing a 2004 v70r with a broken timing belt. I've never worked on a Volvo before. I did just do my daughters 2003 VW New Beetle with a 1.8 turbo. I pulled the head and replaced all 20 valves.

My question is, is there anything I should be concerned about that might be a deal breaker or just way over the top to repair?

I'd appreciate some insight like what I should expect to do once I open it up.

Aaron
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2013
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

This isn't a terribly difficult job to perform as far as getting the head on and off Aaron, one thing you will have to have are the cam lock tools that lock the camshafts in place. The tool bolts to the head and pins the camshaft slots on the OPPOSITE side of the cams where the gears bolt up. (or VVT variable valve timing hub on your 04 model). Without these tools, it is impossible to time the camshafts correctly as that is the way Volvo designed it to be set up. So, you should consider this. May inquire at some machine shops, and see if they can set the cam timing for you on a Volvo with VVT hubs, or call a dealer and ask if they can set it, Because those tools are not cheap. I believe you can get them for 200$ or so online.

Edward :

Other than that, there really isn't anything else that stands out to me, if you get it and do the job, I would go ahead and service the flame trap (PCV system) while you had the intake manifold off as the flame box is behind the intake manifold. You'll want to pull the intake out when removing the head, but the exhaust and turbo can stay in the vehicle. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

Thanks Edward. On my daughters VW I took the head down to the machine shop and they set the cams up for me. I would likely do the same with this one. Are there any other special tools I might need to get the head off? I did have to buy a special drive for the head bolts on the VW.

Edward :

The upper cylinder head has to come off, and this sealer called anaerobic sealer seals the upper cylinder head. (or valve cover) to the bottom head. So after the valve cover bolts are out, I just take some snap ring pliers and pry on the valve cover. it seperates fairly easily. If you let the machine shop set the cams up, definitely make sure they use the correct tools, because that VVT hub doesn't have to be off much at all before it will set the check engine light.

Customer:

Will do, thanks for you help

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician