Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo S60 2.5T: I own a 2008 s60 2.5 t. had Reduced performance

I own a 2008 s60 2.5 t. had Reduced performance problem. Dealer installed new ETM. 1000.00. 5 days later same problem...dealer cleaned new ETM. Made it 8 months...stranded again. Now every 6 weeks same issue. I have learned to clean myself. New part had less than 2000 miles until "cleaning "was needed. 30 k later its been cleaned 5 times and still re -occurs. Its good till a long drive {an hour} then bam ....stranded in a Volvo. Honestly it is not that dirty when I clean it. something else is going on here. Help please

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

Just so I'm clear, 5 days later, you got the message again, "reduced performance" ?

Edward :

and the vehicle would barely run?

Customer:

yes along with surging throttle ,stumble no power.

Edward :

Alright, This dealer in my opinion, misdiagnosed the concern, Do you have a printout of what codes were read off by chance?

Customer:

Not with me they are in the car broken down in another city.

Edward :

I understand. It is possible, that the ECM pins are corroded or not seated properly. I've seen that before.

Edward :

I would suspect a wiring harness, connectivity issue before I would suspect a failed ETM.

Edward :

especially if a NEW ETM didn't fix anything.

Customer:

I remember they told me it had to do with throttle position sensor... they tested gas pedal...then declared bad etm.

Edward :

The throttle position sensor is inside the ETM. Gas pedal usually is alright , not a high failure rate until 10 years or so.

Edward :

So at 5 days later, they still didn't change their story? and said the new ETM was dirty?? That's odd.

Customer:

I have actually examined the pins and plug and it appears good. I understand that may mean nothing. I did twist the connection on purpose to eliminate loose connection as a possibility.

Edward :

The ECM is over behind the passenger headlight on the inner fender well, the large connector that is clipped to the bottom of it has given some trouble.

Edward :

I would really need to know what codes are stored. I suppose it's possible they put a bad remanufactured ETM on it.

Edward :

In that case, it should be covered and you shouldn't have to pay anything for the repair.

Edward :

And I would make sure, the service manager, and general manager, or owner of the dealership understands this situation now. And that you have had this problem twice now in 5 days after a 1000 dollar ETM repair.

Customer:

what should I look for specifically as I examine the plug and wires beside dirt or frayed wires, binding or rubbing harness.

Edward :

You won't be able to see what I'm referring to, it is under the box where the ECM is on the passenger fender well.

Customer:

How do I release the ecm from the clip. I was about to look into that last time I worked on it .

Edward :

It takes a special tool of course from Volvo.

Edward :

Looks like that.

Customer:

I will call dealer tomorrow. it is broke down 3 miles from their location. 80 miles from mine.

Edward :

and slides the connector loose to pull it out.

Edward :

Is the service manager/ and or owner aware of this issue your having ?

Customer:

No I have not communicated with them after initial flurry. Towing that distance from our home is expensive. That's why I have gotten into it.

Customer:

I have worked in dealerships as tech myself. my confidence with them was busted and its is so far away

Edward :

I understand. The problem is, You need Volvo's VIDA system to properly diagnose this 08 model. as they are on the server and can download software. and I doubt any independent shops around have invested in this. (They haven't in my area anyway) If they can't fix it, then they dealer can also call in a FTS (Field Technical Specialist) Which is Volvo's field tech which I feel sure can get to the bottom of it once he puts a flight recorder on it and see's what signals are missing when the fault occurs.

Edward :

I would make sure however, that someone above the service writer or technician is aware that you have had the same issue , and this will be the 3rd time the car is back for the same issue.

Customer:

I see. I know I am going to take another look at the connector. it has not been changed but etm has. Is there a way to tighten the pins in the connector? if I cant get results I will take to dealer and get with service manager.

Edward :

No, the pins are molded into that connector, and usually don't see any problems there, What I have seen is the big 120 pin connector on the BOTTOM of the ECM (where those wires go from the ETM) I've seen those pins loosen up, or get corroded. But you have to pull out the ECM to see them, and that requires that tool that I posted earlier. I have had to repin that connector before, and that requires some special Volvo wiring tools as well.

Customer:

I thought you were gone sir

Edward :

I'm sorry, sometimes it shows me on and offline, it's a live chat glitch I believe.

Customer:

Yeah it showed offline

Edward :

right, That is the course of action I would suggest. and definitely get the GM or service manager involved.

Edward :

Things have a way of getting prioritized when the GM gets involved.

Customer:

Now that you mention it the car is outside in a hard rain last two times this happens.

Edward :

Thats interesting, and could be more evidence of a connectivity issue .

Customer:

Right

Edward :

If he pulls the ECM out and see's green oxidation on the pins, that will be the issue in my opinion.

Edward :

I don't believe it's a bad 2cd ETM. It's possible , but not likely in my opinion.

Customer:

it don't take much green to make a computer take a lunch break in a car.

Edward :

Not at all. about 1 extra ohm is all.

Customer:

right, whole system talks on bus signal. wrong resistance is wrong answer.

Edward :

thats right,

Customer:

ok we r done here thanks I will rate this and call dealer in morning.

Edward :

Absolutely, thank you.

Customer:

is dealer coverage still 12 /12 on parts and labor....im out on miles

Edward :

Well, with this, since you have this history, then I believe they will cover it,

Customer:

I hope so but my luck usually isn't so hot. as you can see....Thanks again sir

Edward :

I understand. Thank you.